viewing duplicate messages

Rollins, Jameson Rollins, Jameson

viewing duplicate messages

This is essentially a wishlist report...

It would be nice to have an easy way in notmuch-emacs-show to know if
there are multiple messages with the same message-id in the store, and
to cycle through viewing each individually.

It's possible (even likely) that one has multiple messages with the same
message-id in their mail store.  For example, this can happen when sent
messages are saved with an fcc and the same message is received on a
mailing list.  Notmuch indexes all copies, but it only shows you one of
the copies when you ask to view the message.

This behavior would be fine if all copies of the message were identical.
But it's more likely that the copies are in fact different, for example
because the mailing list has altered the received message in some way,
it was mangled in transit, or someone is explicitly trying to attack
your mail store [0].

It would be nice to have better exposure of the fact that multiple
copies exist, and to have an easy way to view alternate copies.  For
notmuch-emacs a key could just cycle through available copies.

jamie.

[0] https://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/2012/009965.html
Jorge P. de Morais Neto Jorge P. de Morais Neto

Re: viewing duplicate messages

"Rollins, Jameson" <[hidden email]> writes:

> It would be nice to have an easy way in notmuch-emacs-show to know if
> there are multiple messages with the same message-id in the store, and
> to cycle through viewing each individually.

That would be useful to me too.  I have a Dell laptop and I subscribed
to email notifications about firmware updates.  It turns out that Dell
sends all such notifications (which obviously have different content)
with the same message-id.

Regards
--
- I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome feedback
- Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z

On Thu, May 30 2019, Jorge P. de Morais Neto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> That would be useful to me too.  I have a Dell laptop and I subscribed
> to email notifications about firmware updates.  It turns out that Dell
> sends all such notifications (which obviously have different content)
> with the same message-id.

[face palm] it's a wonder that the internet works at all...
Daniel Kahn Gillmor Daniel Kahn Gillmor

On Thu 2019-05-30 19:11:22 -0300, Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:
> I have a Dell laptop and I subscribed to email notifications about
> firmware updates.  It turns out that Dell sends all such notifications
> (which obviously have different content) with the same message-id.

Have you reported this to Dell?  This sounds like something that anyone
at Dell who understands the technical issues would want to fix.  If
you've reported it publicly, i'd appreciate a pointer to the discussion.

If you'd care to forward me a zipfile containing examples of at least
two distinct messages with the same message ID, i'd love to look through
a copy of this sort of confusion.  It's good to understand the different
ways these sort of things go wrong.

    --dkg

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[hidden email]> writes:

> Have you reported this to Dell?

Not yet.

> If you'd care to forward me a zipfile containing examples of at least
> two distinct messages with the same message ID, i'd love to look through
> a copy of this sort of confusion.  It's good to understand the different
> ways these sort of things go wrong.

I have searched and found no copy.  That's because I physically delete
these Dell notification messages after reading and acting on them.  This
way there is always 0 or 1 such message, so Notmuch does not get
confused.  But I will save the next ones and give you.  In fact, in an
attempt to temporarily increase the frequency of notifications, I have
just subscribed to notifications about everything related to my notebook
series, even MS-Windows drivers.

Regards

On Fri 2019-05-31 12:45:46 -0300, Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:
> I have searched and found no copy.  That's because I physically delete
> these Dell notification messages after reading and acting on them.  This
> way there is always 0 or 1 such message, so Notmuch does not get
> confused.  But I will save the next ones and give you.  In fact, in an
> attempt to temporarily increase the frequency of notifications, I have
> just subscribed to notifications about everything related to my notebook
> series, even MS-Windows drivers.

thanks!  i don't mean to interrupt your workflow, which makes total
sense to me.  feel free to send them to me as they come in.

      --dkg

Em 2019-05-30T19:02:57-0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor escreveu:

> Have you reported this to Dell?  This sounds like something that anyone
> at Dell who understands the technical issues would want to fix.  If
> you've reported it publicly, i'd appreciate a pointer to the discussion.

I have just sent an email to a Dell saleswoman I had previously
corresponded with.  I asked her to forward the report to the appropriate
organizational unit and tell me the ticket identifier should a ticket be
created.  This was the only contact channel I found; I first looked into
Dell's website and found no better option.

> If you'd care to forward me a zipfile containing examples of at least
> two distinct messages with the same message ID, i'd love to look through
> a copy of this sort of confusion.  It's good to understand the different
> ways these sort of things go wrong.

I have attached a tarball with three homonymous messages from Dell.  The
last (most recent) two have the same subject and bodies, but the first
(earliest) one is different and yet they all have Message-Id 1. I have
included the Notmuch list as a recipient because the tarball is a mere
11252B.

Regards

dell_homonymous_messages.tar.xz (15K) Download Attachment

On Sat 2019-08-17 19:12:26 -0300, Jorge P. de Morais Neto wrote:
> I have attached a tarball with three homonymous messages from Dell.  The
> last (most recent) two have the same subject and bodies, but the first
> (earliest) one is different and yet they all have Message-Id 1. I have
> included the Notmuch list as a recipient because the tarball is a mere
> 11252B.

thanks for this.  Looking at the headers, it occurs to me that the
problem might actually be that Dell ("[hidden email]")
might not including a message-id header at all, and it is being added
their IronPort/Sophos AV client as it passes through their mail system.

I suspect this possibility because the placement of the Message-ID
header itself is supiciiously high up in the list of headers (it looks
like it might have been placd there by the initial relaying MTA, rather
than the MUA).

If this is the case, it could be solved in one of two ways: they could
inject a proper unique Message-ID before handing the message off to
IronPort; or they could fix their IronPort appliance to inject a proper
unique Message-ID header.

That's all about fixing it on the sender side though.  Are there
possible fixes on the receiving side?

one thought is that notmuch could treat an obviously low-entropy
message-ID the same way that it treats a message with no Message-ID at
all.  Of course, that raises the question: what is a low-entropy message
ID? A single-character message-id is pretty clearly too low-entropy to
be useful, but if we said "1-character long" was too short, it would at
least avoid this particular mistake.

i also note that NEWS claims (in the section for notmuch 0.17) that
notmuch treats "overlong" message-ids in the same way as missing
message-ids, but i don't see where that distinction is done in the code.
It doesn't appear to be in lib/message-file.c, where the notmuch-sha1-*
generation is done.  But anyway, if we are treating "overlong"
message-ids as missing, it's nicely symmetric to treat "overshort"
message-ids in the same way.

      --dkg