suggestion/request about notmuch config

Jameson Graef Rollins Jameson Graef Rollins

suggestion/request about notmuch config

Hi, folks.  I just recently heard about notmuch and am very excited by
it.  It looks like exactly what I've been waiting years for.  Also
excited to see so much good development work happening.

I started playing around with notmuch today and I have a suggestion
about the notmuch config files and databases.

I would prefer to see all notmuch files and data in the same
directory, preferably:

~/.notmuch

The config file could be:

~/.notmuch/config

and the database could be:

~/.notmuch/db

or something to that affect.  This would make it much easier to keep
track of in my opinion.  I would also prefer to keep the database
completely separate from my mail directory itself.

I think these changes would be fairly trivial.  I would be happy to
take a crack at them if there aren't any major concerns about this
proposal.  Obviously moving the default config might impact current
users, but I think it's fairly minor.  One reason why it's probably
better to make this change now...

Let me know what people think.  Looking forward to working with
notmuch!

jamie.

Carl Worth-2 Carl Worth-2

Re: suggestion/request about notmuch config

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 18:06:38 -0500, Jameson Graef Rollins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, folks.  I just recently heard about notmuch and am very excited by
> it.  It looks like exactly what I've been waiting years for.  Also
> excited to see so much good development work happening.

Hi Jamie, welcome to notmuch!

> I would prefer to see all notmuch files and data in the same
> directory, preferably:
>
> ~/.notmuch
>
> The config file could be:
>
> ~/.notmuch/config
>
> and the database could be:
>
> ~/.notmuch/db

I suppose that's totally reasonable, (though I wouldn't abbreviate
"database" to "db"). I think the only thing I'd miss is that I can
currently point the config file to a different database, (which is
usually just for testing.)

And really, for that what I really want is a "-f" option to the notmuch
command to make it read from a specified configuration file. So if I had
that option then I don't think I'd mind this change at all.

> Let me know what people think.  Looking forward to working with
> notmuch!

And I'm looking forward to your contributions.

Thanks again,

-Carl