sometimes it takes long to open folder

Jan Hutař Jan Hutař

sometimes it takes long to open folder

Hello,
I'm using notmuch and mutt with virtual-mailboxes. Besides it is awesome
and very flexible, sometimes when opening some folders it takes too long
with mutt showing progress with "Reading messages..." in the bottom. It
takes few minutes for folder with 12k emails.

I'm downloading new email every 10 minutes and have this in the cron:

  @daily /usr/bin/notmuch new
  @weekly /usr/bin/notmuch compact
  */10 * * * * /usr/bin/fetchmail >/dev/null

Usually opening these folders is very quick, but every once a few days
it takes quite long. Looks like some cache is being rebuild or
something.

Please, do you have any idea on what might be causing this? I would like
to pre-cache it via cron or something.

Thank you for any ideas. I know this is quite a lax question, but will
provide any logs or so.

Regards,
Jan

--
Jan Hutar     Systems Management QA
[hidden email]     Red Hat, Inc.

Re: sometimes it takes long to open folder

Jan Hutař <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
> I'm using notmuch and mutt with virtual-mailboxes. Besides it is awesome
> and very flexible, sometimes when opening some folders it takes too long
> with mutt showing progress with "Reading messages..." in the bottom. It
> takes few minutes for folder with 12k emails.

It would be useful to know if your notmuch new cronjob was running at
this time; notmuch itself doesn't really do any background processing.

The other useful thing from the notmuch point of view is if you could
duplicate the slowness with the same search on the command line; that
would eliminate mutt code as the problem.

Jan Hutař Jan Hutař

On 2017-06-26 19:42 -0300, David Bremner wrote:

>Jan Hutař <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>> I'm using notmuch and mutt with virtual-mailboxes. Besides it is awesome
>> and very flexible, sometimes when opening some folders it takes too long
>> with mutt showing progress with "Reading messages..." in the bottom. It
>> takes few minutes for folder with 12k emails.
>>

>It would be useful to know if your notmuch new cronjob was running at
>this time; notmuch itself doesn't really do any background processing.
>
>The other useful thing from the notmuch point of view is if you could
>duplicate the slowness with the same search on the command line; that
>would eliminate mutt code as the problem.

Hello and thank you for the hints.

Finally it happened again. Looks like `notmuch new` was running around
midnight, then suspend&resume and few retchmail&procmails.

Anyway, on command line:

$ time notmuch search tag:archive >/tmp/aaa

real 0m4.840s
user 0m1.709s
sys 0m0.301s

and with this muttrc config:

virtual-mailboxes \
   [...]
   'ARCHIVE'                    'notmuch://?query=tag:archive' \
   [...]

when opening that "folder", it took about a minute. Looks like this is
problem with mutt then and I'll focus there.

Thank you,
Jan