search misses some targets

Jean-Francois Moulin Jean-Francois Moulin

search misses some targets

Using notmuch in mutt searches on the from field often return too few
hits. I see more mails by using the limit command of mutt.
In order to be sure that mutt does not get in the way of my notmuch
search I tried directly from the command line (notmuch search), same
problem.

notmuch config list returns:

    new.tags=unread;inbox;
    new.ignore=
    search.exclude_tags=
    maildir.synchronize_flags=true
    crypto.gpg_path=gpg
    built_with.compact=true
    built_with.field_processor=false
    built_with.retry_lock=false
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht
Zentrum für Material- und Küstenforschung GmbH
Max-Planck-Straße 1 I 21502 Geesthacht I Deutschland/Germany

Geschäftsführer/Board of Management: Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Kaysser, Dipl.-Ing. Michael Ganß
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Ministerialdirigent Dr. Herbert Zeisel
Amtsgericht Lübeck HRB 285 GE (Register Court)
Internet: http://www.hzg.de

Re: search misses some targets

Jean-Francois Moulin <[hidden email]> writes:

> Using notmuch in mutt searches on the from field often return too few
> hits. I see more mails by using the limit command of mutt.
> In order to be sure that mutt does not get in the way of my notmuch
> search I tried directly from the command line (notmuch search), same
> problem.

Hi Jean-Francois;

Can you give us some more details about the kind of search where you not
getting the results you want? Maybe the exact command line for "notmuch
search", and if poossible the headers from a message you expected to be
matched but was not.

David

Jean-Francois Moulin Jean-Francois Moulin

Re: search misses some targets

Hi!

Sorry for not providing enough info to start with.

I have pasted a header below (slightly modified for privacy).
I wanted to find all mails coming from the sender of this one.
I used "search from:Doe" and search "from:doe" and got only 3/4 of the expected hits (I
checked with Thunderbird). I then tried "search Doe" and "search doe",
this message was not found either. Using mutt when I applied a "limit Doe" or "limit doe",
the message was found.

Thanks for having a look!

Subject: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Antwort=3A_WG=3A_Zahlungsoptionen_und_technische?=
 =?ISO-8859-1?Q?_Datenbl=E4tter_-_TA_Instruments?=
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Cc: [hidden email],"Bob Hann"
 <[hidden email]>,[hidden email]
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 17:30:39 +0100

--=_mixed 005AB285C12580B2_=

--=_related 005AB285C12580B2_=

--=_alternative 005AB285C12580B2_=

--
Dr. Jean-François Moulin
German Engineering Materials Science Centre (GEMS)

--
Dr. Jean-François Moulin
German Engineering Materials Science Centre (GEMS)
at Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Zentrum (MLZ)
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht GmbH
Lichtenbergstr. 1, 85747 Garching bei München, Germany
phone: +49-89-289-10762
email: [hidden email]

Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht
Zentrum für Material- und Küstenforschung GmbH
Max-Planck-Straße 1 I 21502 Geesthacht I Deutschland/Germany

Geschäftsführer/Board of Management: Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Kaysser, Dipl.-Ing. Michael Ganß
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Ministerialdirigent Dr. Herbert Zeisel
Amtsgericht Lübeck HRB 285 GE (Register Court)
Internet: http://www.hzg.de

Re: search misses some targets

Jean-Francois Moulin <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Sorry for not providing enough info to start with.
>
> I have pasted a header below (slightly modified for privacy).
> I wanted to find all mails coming from the sender of this one.
> I used "search from:Doe" and search "from:doe" and got only 3/4 of the expected hits (I
> checked with Thunderbird). I then tried "search Doe" and "search doe",
> this message was not found either. Using mutt when I applied a "limit Doe" or "limit doe",
> the message was found.
>
> Thanks for having a look!

I made an email message from these headers and was able to find it fine
with all of the 'notmuch search' variations you mentioned. If you can
duplicate the problem with a public message that you can send verbatim
that might help.  The usual cause of such problems is exclude tags, but
I see from your first message that you don't have any configured.
Another potential source of difficulties is duplicate message-ids. You
could test for the latter with
notmuch search id:OF39AEF41D.39304F6A-ONC12580B2.005407CD-C12580B2.005AB287@LocalDomain

On 09/29/2017 01:34 PM, David Bremner wrote:

> Jean-Francois Moulin <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Sorry for not providing enough info to start with.
>>
>> I have pasted a header below (slightly modified for privacy).
>> I wanted to find all mails coming from the sender of this one.
>> I used "search from:Doe" and search "from:doe" and got only 3/4 of the expected hits (I
>> checked with Thunderbird). I then tried "search Doe" and "search doe",
>> this message was not found either. Using mutt when I applied a "limit Doe" or "limit doe",
>> the message was found.
>>
>> Thanks for having a look!
>>
> I made an email message from these headers and was able to find it fine
> with all of the 'notmuch search' variations you mentioned. If you can
> duplicate the problem with a public message that you can send verbatim
> that might help.  The usual cause of such problems is exclude tags, but
> I see from your first message that you don't have any configured.
> Another potential source of difficulties is duplicate message-ids. You
> could test for the latter with
> notmuch search id:OF39AEF41D.39304F6A-ONC12580B2.005407CD-C12580B2.005AB287@LocalDomain
Hi,

sorry for the delay.

notmuch search
id:OF39AEF41D.39304F6A-ONC12580B2.005407CD-C12580B2.005AB287@LocalDomain

returns nothing.

Looking for examples I could share, I searched for Spam Quarantaine
notifications **using notmuch-mutt**
    (The binding I use for the search in mutt is the following (copied
from https://notmuchmail.org/notmuch-mutt/)
macro index L "<enter-command>unset wait_key<enter><shell-escape>read -p
'notmuch query: ' x; echo \$x >~/.cache/mutt_terms<enter><limit>~i
\"\`notmuch search --output=messages \$(cat ~/.cache/mutt_terms) | head
-n 600 | perl -le '@a=<>;chomp@a;s/\^id://
for@a;$,=\"|\";print@a'\`\"<enter>" "show only messages matching a
notmuch pattern")

The notmuch search did not find any message!

This same macro executed with "Spam" as argument finds a few messages
containing the word spam but none having it in the from field

Repeating the searches with plain notmuch from the command line found
all of the messages!
So it is probable that my mutt configuration somehow has a problem. Once
this is fixed I'll search again for thoses cases where some messages are
found but not all of them.

Any tip appreciated of course but I guess this is probably no longer the
right place to ask!

JF

--

Dr. Jean-François Moulin
German Engineering Materials Science Centre (GEMS)
at Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Zentrum (MLZ)
Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht GmbH
Lichtenbergstr. 1, 85747 Garching bei München, Germany
phone: +49-89-289-10762; email: [hidden email]

Re: search misses some targets

Jean-Francois Moulin <[hidden email]> writes:

> Looking for examples I could share, I searched for Spam Quarantaine
> notifications **using notmuch-mutt**
>     (The binding I use for the search in mutt is the following (copied
> from https://notmuchmail.org/notmuch-mutt/)
> macro index L "<enter-command>unset wait_key<enter><shell-escape>read -p
> 'notmuch query: ' x; echo \$x >~/.cache/mutt_terms<enter><limit>~i
> \"\`notmuch search --output=messages \$(cat ~/.cache/mutt_terms) | head
> -n 600 | perl -le '@a=<>;chomp@a;s/\^id://
> for@a;$,=\"|\";print@a'\`\"<enter>" "show only messages matching a
> notmuch pattern")
>

> The notmuch search did not find any message!
>
> This same macro executed with "Spam" as argument finds a few messages
> containing the word spam but none having it in the from field
>
> Repeating the searches with plain notmuch from the command line found
> all of the messages!
> So it is probable that my mutt configuration somehow has a problem. Once
> this is fixed I'll search again for thoses cases where some messages are
> found but not all of them.

I have put the author of notmuch-mutt in copy in case he has some
ideas. One other thing worth mentioning is that neomutt supports notmuch
virtual folders directly, and is available along side (or in place of)
"mutt classic" in several linux distros.

Stefano Zacchiroli-2 Stefano Zacchiroli-2

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 08:34:19AM -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> > Repeating the searches with plain notmuch from the command line found
> > all of the messages!
> > So it is probable that my mutt configuration somehow has a problem. Once
> > this is fixed I'll search again for thoses cases where some messages are
> > found but not all of them.

The current bindings are those that you can see here:
http://sources.debian.net/src/notmuch/0.25-6/contrib/notmuch-mutt/notmuch-mutt.rc/
I suggest you compare them with yours and see if there's any
difference. Also, they might conflict with some other bindings of yours,
unrelated with notmuch.

> I have put the author of notmuch-mutt in copy in case he has some
> ideas. One other thing worth mentioning is that neomutt supports notmuch
> virtual folders directly, and is available along side (or in place of)
> "mutt classic" in several linux distros.

Yeah, for what is worth for any new adoption of notmuch within mutt, I
also suggest to use the native libnotmuch support available in neomutt.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli . [hidden email] . upsilon.cc/zack . . o . . . o . o
Computer Science Professor . CTO Software Heritage . . . . . o . . . o o