performance in emacs displaying a huge thread

Alan Schmitt Alan Schmitt

performance in emacs displaying a huge thread

Hello,

I have some performance issues when displaying a huge thread, like this:

September 07 [13/5767]

It takes forever to display (I've waited a few minutes and it was still
stuck). I know it's a lot of messages, so is there a way to just display
the 13 that match? Or to limit the total number of messages displayed?

Thanks,

Alan

Örjan Ekeberg Örjan Ekeberg

Re: performance in emacs displaying a huge thread

Hi Alan,

Alan Schmitt <[hidden email]> writes:

> September 07 [13/5767]
>
> It takes forever to display (I've waited a few minutes and it was still
> stuck). I know it's a lot of messages, so is there a way to just display
> the 13 that match? Or to limit the total number of messages displayed?

I think opening the thread with C-U RET instead of RET does exactly
that, i.e. only shows the matching messages.

In less extreme cases, using tree view (ALT-RET) may be an option since
it does not have to format the contents of the entire thread.

I have a vague recollection that someone pointed out that it is the
indentation that takes most of the time and that turning off indentation
speeds up the display of huge threads.

/Örjan
Alan Schmitt Alan Schmitt

Re: performance in emacs displaying a huge thread

Hi Örjan,

On 2020-01-15 21:15, Örjan Ekeberg <[hidden email]> writes:

> I think opening the thread with C-U RET instead of RET does exactly
> that, i.e. only shows the matching messages.
>
> In less extreme cases, using tree view (ALT-RET) may be an option since
> it does not have to format the contents of the entire thread.

Both work great, thanks. I did not think of using a universal argument.

> I have a vague recollection that someone pointed out that it is the
> indentation that takes most of the time and that turning off indentation
> speeds up the display of huge threads.

I'll give it a try. Thanks again,

Alan

Alan Schmitt Alan Schmitt

On 2020-01-15 21:15, Örjan Ekeberg <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have a vague recollection that someone pointed out that it is the
> indentation that takes most of the time and that turning off indentation
> speeds up the display of huge threads.

I've been trying this by setting:

  (setq notmuch-show-indent-messages-width 0)
  (setq-default notmuch-show-indent-content nil)

but huge threads still take forever to show. Are there other settings
I should try?

Thanks,

Alan