notmuch vim failing to show rfc822 attachments

Kay Kay

notmuch vim failing to show rfc822 attachments

Dear notmuchers,

I've recently switched to using notmuch for mail management and I like
it so far. The only thing stopping me from full joy is that neither alot
nor the notmuch vim frontend can display message/rfc822 attachments.

When I open the mails containing rfc822 attachments in alot, their
content is shown, but their metadata is lost. When I try to open the
messages in the notmuch vim frontend, I get the following error

Error detected while processing function
<SNR>20_search_show_thread[10]..<SNR>20_show:
line   39:
NoMethodError: undefined method `mime_type' for nil:NilClass

After pressing enter thereafter, I see the mail but none of the rfc822
attachments. Mutt shows the attachments plus their headers flawlessly.

I'm using the current notmuch-vim version I pulled today alongside
notmuch 0.21. I tested the same thing using notmuch and alot with
current packages in the Arch repositories of both and alot did not
show the message headers, as mentioned above.

Thank you in advance,
Kay
Daniel Kahn Gillmor Daniel Kahn Gillmor

Re: notmuch vim failing to show rfc822 attachments

Hi Kay--

On Tue 2019-05-07 01:51:50 +0200, Kay wrote:

> I've recently switched to using notmuch for mail management and I like
> it so far. The only thing stopping me from full joy is that neither alot
> nor the notmuch vim frontend can display message/rfc822 attachments.

that sounds frustrating!

As i think you can see from the silence on the list, notmuch vim doesn't
get a lot of developer attention right now.  If you can demonstrate the
problem with notmuch 0.29, or from a local git development copy, and you
have a fix you'd like to propose, folks would probably look at it.

If you want help with alot, i recommend using the issue tracker at
https://github.com/pazz/alot

sorry to not have a better answer for you!

      --dkg