notmuch version/Python bindings

Aryeh Leib Taurog Aryeh Leib Taurog

notmuch version/Python bindings

The latest notmuch includes libnotmuch.so.4.4.0 but the latest python
bindings wrap libnotmuch.so.3 so importing from notmuch results in the
following error:

  File "/home/altaurog/venv/offlineimap/lib/python2.7/site-packages/notmuch/__init__.py", line 54, in <module>
    from .database import Database
  File "/home/altaurog/venv/offlineimap/lib/python2.7/site-packages/notmuch/database.py", line 24, in <module>
    from .globals import (
  File "/home/altaurog/venv/offlineimap/lib/python2.7/site-packages/notmuch/globals.py", line 27, in <module>
    raise ImportError("Could not find shared 'notmuch' library.")
ImportError: Could not find shared 'notmuch' library.

I changed it to libnotmuch.so.4 in globals.py and it seems to work.
Is that reasonable or should I expect problems?

Re: notmuch version/Python bindings

Aryeh Leib Taurog <[hidden email]> writes:

> The latest notmuch includes libnotmuch.so.4.4.0 but the latest python
> bindings wrap libnotmuch.so.3 so importing from notmuch results in the
> following error:
>
>   File "/home/altaurog/venv/offlineimap/lib/python2.7/site-packages/notmuch/__init__.py", line 54, in <module>
>     from .database import Database
>   File "/home/altaurog/venv/offlineimap/lib/python2.7/site-packages/notmuch/database.py", line 24, in <module>
>     from .globals import (
>   File "/home/altaurog/venv/offlineimap/lib/python2.7/site-packages/notmuch/globals.py", line 27, in <module>
>     raise ImportError("Could not find shared 'notmuch' library.")
> ImportError: Could not find shared 'notmuch' library.
>
> I changed it to libnotmuch.so.4 in globals.py and it seems to work.
> Is that reasonable or should I expect problems?

I'd say you should get your python bindings from the same place you get
libnotmuch. In the latest released source (and in git master), the
SOVERSION in version.py matches, and globals.py uses that.

Aryeh Leib Taurog Aryeh Leib Taurog

Re: notmuch version/Python bindings

Okay, makes sense.  Might I suggest a new release on pypi, then?

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:24:16AM -0400, David Bremner wrote:

> Aryeh Leib Taurog <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > The latest notmuch includes libnotmuch.so.4.4.0 but the latest python
> > bindings wrap libnotmuch.so.3 so importing from notmuch results in the
> > following error:
> >
> >   File "/home/altaurog/venv/offlineimap/lib/python2.7/site-packages/notmuch/__init__.py", line 54, in <module>
> >     from .database import Database
> >   File "/home/altaurog/venv/offlineimap/lib/python2.7/site-packages/notmuch/database.py", line 24, in <module>
> >     from .globals import (
> >   File "/home/altaurog/venv/offlineimap/lib/python2.7/site-packages/notmuch/globals.py", line 27, in <module>
> >     raise ImportError("Could not find shared 'notmuch' library.")
> > ImportError: Could not find shared 'notmuch' library.
> >
> > I changed it to libnotmuch.so.4 in globals.py and it seems to work.
> > Is that reasonable or should I expect problems?
>
> I'd say you should get your python bindings from the same place you get
> libnotmuch. In the latest released source (and in git master), the
> SOVERSION in version.py matches, and globals.py uses that.

Re: notmuch version/Python bindings

Aryeh Leib Taurog <[hidden email]> writes:

> Okay, makes sense.  Might I suggest a new release on pypi, then?

I think Sebastian (listed as the pypi maintainer) somewhat lost interest
in notmuch (since that version is 4 years old). I'm afraid I don't know
anything about pypi, but I assume if someone else wanted to take over
maintaining it, they should coordinate with Sebastian (in CC).

spaetz spaetz

Re: notmuch version/Python bindings

Hi there, I did stop using notmuch, true. Let me know if I should hand over administration or if I shouldnsimply delete the package on pypi.

Sebastian
--
Sent from my mobile phone. Please excuse brevity.

Sebastian Spaeth <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi there, I did stop using notmuch, true. Let me know if I should hand
> over administration or if I shouldnsimply delete the package on pypi.

Hi Sebastian;

Thanks for the followup.  If no-one steps up to maintain by the end of
next week, I'd say just delete them from pypi.

I don't really think that "the notmuch project" needs to be involved in
deciding who, if anyone, maintains a pypi package (anymore than we
micromanage who maintains notmuch in various linux distros). I have a
vague memory that Justus (nominally in charge of the python bindings)
was not interested in pypi, but I could be wrong. In any case Justus not
very active lately either.

Justus Winter-2 Justus Winter-2

David Bremner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Sebastian Spaeth <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi there, I did stop using notmuch, true. Let me know if I should hand
>> over administration or if I shouldnsimply delete the package on pypi.
>>

> Hi Sebastian;
>
> Thanks for the followup.  If no-one steps up to maintain by the end of
> next week, I'd say just delete them from pypi.
>
> I don't really think that "the notmuch project" needs to be involved in
> deciding who, if anyone, maintains a pypi package (anymore than we
> micromanage who maintains notmuch in various linux distros). I have a
> vague memory that Justus (nominally in charge of the python bindings)
> was not interested in pypi, but I could be wrong. In any case Justus not
> very active lately either.
No, I'm really not, sorry.

Somewhat related, I adopted the Python bindings for GPGME, and I was
convinced by Python users that publishing on pypi is important for the
bindings to be used.  However, we also have the problem of people trying
to build the bindings from pypi with older versions of the library, and
one person actually suggested to build the library itself as part of
building the binginds to work around that.

Nowadays I tend to think that it is better to distribute the bindings
through the same channels as the library.

Justus

spaetz spaetz

Re: notmuch version/Python bindings

Hi there,
just tried to delete the notmuch packagr on pypi. While I am listed as the author, I do not own the package and it lists "Package Index Owner: Julian".

It might be that I have already transferred the ownership of the package, but I don't remember who Julian is. Has anyone else a clue?

Sebastian Spaeth
--

Am 18. Februar 2017 16:14:49 MEZ schrieb David Bremner <[hidden email]>:

>Sebastian Spaeth <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hi there, I did stop using notmuch, true. Let me know if I should
>hand
>> over administration or if I shouldnsimply delete the package on pypi.
>>

>Hi Sebastian;
>
>Thanks for the followup.  If no-one steps up to maintain by the end of
>next week, I'd say just delete them from pypi.
>
>I don't really think that "the notmuch project" needs to be involved in
>deciding who, if anyone, maintains a pypi package (anymore than we
>micromanage who maintains notmuch in various linux distros). I have a
>vague memory that Justus (nominally in charge of the python bindings)
>was not interested in pypi, but I could be wrong. In any case Justus
>not
>very active lately either.

Re: notmuch version/Python bindings

Sebastian Spaeth <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi there,
> just tried to delete the notmuch packagr on pypi. While I am listed as the author, I do not own the package and it lists "Package Index Owner: Julian".
>
> It might be that I have already transferred the ownership of the package, but I don't remember who Julian is. Has anyone else a clue?
>
> Sebastian Spaeth

I sent Sebastian a clue privately (
id:CABJQSk=bARx8pqWQ-xz=[hidden email]
)but if that doesn't work out, apparently one can file a support request
on sourceforge (no comment)

        https://sourceforge.net/p/pypi/support-requests/