notmuch shows tag which is not on any email

Gregor Zattler Gregor Zattler

notmuch shows tag which is not on any email

Dear notmuch developers,

does notmuch remember tags even if at time of query there is no
message tagged with the respective tag?:

$ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph
EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
EA=[hidden email]

$ notmuch count  -- is:EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
0

$ notmuch count  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
4498

There is no invisible character or some such:
$ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph | head -n 1 | wc -c
27

I might have done something wrong while experimenting with this
tags and  'EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet' may be a leftover.  I
would like to remove it but since no message matches it's not
possible to remove it from messages and therefore the tag remains:

$ notmuch tag +EA=[hidden email]  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
$ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph
EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
EA=[hidden email]

I tried to utilise emacs to remove the tag, but notmuch-emacs
does not show 'EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet' in notmuch-hello's
'All tags' section.

Why is said tag in the tags listing, how to get rid of it?

Thanks, Gregor

Carl Worth-2 Carl Worth-2

Re: notmuch shows tag which is not on any email

On Mon, Jun 04 2018, Gregor Zattler wrote:
> Dear notmuch developers,

Hi, Gregor!

> does notmuch remember tags even if at time of query there is no
> message tagged with the respective tag?:

No. At least, from when I originally invented the notmuch schema, tags
only existed on messages and there was no separate store of a list of
known tags anywhere.

If something in the schema has changed since, I would appreciate someone
correcting me.

So, I'm not sure what's going on in with your notmuch database.

I tried tagging a couple of messages with the same tags you are seeing
in case there was something in one of these tag names specifically that
was ticking a problem. But things look fine for me.

Here's the output I'm now getting on my notmuch store with the same
commands you gave, (and note that everything is working for me):

$ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph
EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
EA=[hidden email]
$ notmuch count  -- is:EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
1
$ notmuch count  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
2
$ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph | head -n 1 | wc -c
27

Anyone ave a theory for what could explain what Gregor is seeing?

-Carl

Jani Nikula Jani Nikula

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018, Gregor Zattler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear notmuch developers,
>
> does notmuch remember tags even if at time of query there is no
> message tagged with the respective tag?:
>
> $ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph
> EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
> EA=[hidden email]
>

> $ notmuch count  -- is:EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
> 0
>

> $ notmuch count  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
> 4498
>

> There is no invisible character or some such:
> $ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph | head -n 1 | wc -c
> 27

Try all of the above with --exclude=false parameter and see if it makes
a difference. If it does, each of the messages tagged with
EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet is probably also tagged with one of the tags
in 'notmuch config get search.exclude_tags'.

> I might have done something wrong while experimenting with this
> tags and  'EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet' may be a leftover.  I
> would like to remove it but since no message matches it's not
> possible to remove it from messages and therefore the tag remains:
>
> $ notmuch tag +EA=[hidden email]  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/

Try that with

$ notmuch tag +EA=[hidden email] -EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet -- is:/EA.*telegraph/

to remedy the situation.

BR,
Jani.

> $ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph
> EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
> EA=[hidden email]
>

> I tried to utilise emacs to remove the tag, but notmuch-emacs
> does not show 'EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet' in notmuch-hello's
> 'All tags' section.
>

> Why is said tag in the tags listing, how to get rid of it?
>

> Thanks, Gregor

Gregor Zattler Gregor Zattler

Re: notmuch shows tag which is not on any email

Hi Jani, Carl,
* Jani Nikula <[hidden email]> [2018-06-04; 21:36]:
> On Mon, 04 Jun 2018, Gregor Zattler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> $ notmuch search --output=tags '*' | grep telegraph
>> EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
>> EA=[hidden email]
>>

>> $ notmuch count  -- is:EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet
>> 0
[...]
> Try all of the above with --exclude=false parameter and see if it makes
> a difference. If it does, each of the messages tagged with
> EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet is probably also tagged with one of the tags
> in 'notmuch config get search.exclude_tags'.

You hit it spot on.

[...]
>> $ notmuch tag +EA=[hidden email]  -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
>
> Try that with
>
> $ notmuch tag +EA=[hidden email] -EA%3Dtelegraph%40gmx%2Enet -- is:/EA.*telegraph/
>
> to remedy the situation.

Thanks for your help, now the spurious tag is gone.

Ciao; Gregor
--