notmuch-search: sort by subject or author?

William Casarin William Casarin

notmuch-search: sort by subject or author?

Hey there,

Is there a way to sort by subject or author in emacs/notmuch-search? I
find myself wanting to do this a lot. My particular use case is rss
feeds, where I have many different feeds in my rss tag that I would like
to group together.

If not, I am interested in adding this feature.

Thanks,
William

Re: notmuch-search: sort by subject or author?

William Casarin <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hey there,
>
> Is there a way to sort by subject or author in emacs/notmuch-search? I
> find myself wanting to do this a lot. My particular use case is rss
> feeds, where I have many different feeds in my rss tag that I would like
> to group together.
>
> If not, I am interested in adding this feature.
>
> Thanks,
> William

I think it's not really possible at the moment. If you want this to work
with large searches then it probably needs to be done at the CLI level
(see [1] for work in progress adding sorting by file size).

Luckily 'From' and 'Subject' are already value slots in the database,
which means that nothing should have to change in the database to add
those sort orders (i.e. it should be less work than [1]).

[1] id:[hidden email]

David Bremner <[hidden email]> writes:

> I think it's not really possible at the moment. If you want this to work
> with large searches then it probably needs to be done at the CLI level
> (see [1] for work in progress adding sorting by file size).
>
> Luckily 'From' and 'Subject' are already value slots in the database,
> which means that nothing should have to change in the database to add
> those sort orders (i.e. it should be less work than [1]).
>
> [1] id:[hidden email]

I have a patch that is working, I'll send it over soon. Thanks!

- William

--
https://jb55.com