notmuch search does not work with search term 'id:'

Jörg Volbers Jörg Volbers

notmuch search does not work with search term 'id:'

Hello,

I have problems searching for a message by its id.

If I call notmuch-show, everything works fine; actually this is
used by the emacs frontend:

'notmuch show --format=raw id:<.....>'

If I try to search for this mail with notmuch-search, I get no
result:

notmuch search -- id:<....>

Any ideas?

Best,
Jörg

--
http://www.joergvolbers.de
https://fu-berlin.academia.edu/jvolbers

Tomi Ollila-2 Tomi Ollila-2

Re: notmuch search does not work with search term 'id:'

On Fri, Aug 11 2017, Jörg Volbers wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have problems searching for a message by its id.
>
> If I call notmuch-show, everything works fine; actually this is
> used by the emacs frontend:
>
> 'notmuch show --format=raw id:<.....>'
>
> If I try to search for this mail with notmuch-search, I get no
> result:
>
> notmuch search -- id:<....>
>
> Any ideas?

put search terms inside single quotes. i.e. notmuch search -- 'id:<....>'

Tomi

> Best,
> Jörg
>
> --
> http://www.joergvolbers.de
> https://fu-berlin.academia.edu/jvolbers
Jörg Volbers Jörg Volbers

Re: notmuch search does not work with search term 'id:'

Quoting the argument does not change anyting -- which makes sense,
since searching for the id does work well when using "notmuch show
--format=raw". So it's not a quoting issue.

BTW, the error also shows up if I just omit the option
"format=raw" in notmuch show.

This is the ID which I am using for testing:

E5-a1wt6bgr-elaine/2/[hidden email]

Jörg

Jörg Volbers <[hidden email]> writes:

> This is the ID which I am using for testing:
>
> E5-a1wt6bgr-elaine/2/[hidden email]

Can you try

NOTMUCH_DEBUG_QUERY=y notmuch search id:E5-a1wt6bgr-elaine/2/[hidden email]

and report the output after "Final query is:"

Jörg Volbers Jörg Volbers

Re: notmuch search does not work with search term 'id:'

That was helpful! The output is:

Query(((Tmail AND 0 *
QE5-a1wt6bgr-elaine/2/[hidden email])
AND_NOT (Kdeleted OR Kspam)))

Actually my config has "search.exclude_tags=deleted;spam" set, and
the mail IS a spam mail. (I wanted to train bogofilter).

Did not know that such an exclusion occurs. Makes sense, though.

Adding --exclude=false to the search makes it behave well.

Thanks for the help!