merge broken mail threads

Nicolas Bock Nicolas Bock

merge broken mail threads

Hi,

Sometimes during a lengthy discussion someone inadvertently breaks
the email thread because their mail client doesn't get it. Is
there a way to merge the two fragmented threads again with
notmuch?

Best,

Nick
Daniel Kahn Gillmor Daniel Kahn Gillmor

Re: merge broken mail threads

On Wed 2019-01-23 08:29:05 -0700, Nicolas Bock wrote:

> Sometimes during a lengthy discussion someone inadvertently breaks
> the email thread because their mail client doesn't get it. Is
> there a way to merge the two fragmented threads again with
> notmuch?

there's a manual way to do it as a janky workaround:

 * create a bogus e-mail message that References: a message-id from each
   split faction.

 * inject that message into your notmuch message store

 * delete that message

See also the thread on this maiing list with Subject "thread merge/split
proposal" from back in 2016, starting at
id:[hidden email] though i don't think any of
that has been implemented.

        --dkg

Nicolas Bock Nicolas Bock

On Wed, Jan 23 2019, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> On Wed 2019-01-23 08:29:05 -0700, Nicolas Bock wrote:
>
>> Sometimes during a lengthy discussion someone inadvertently
>> breaks  the email thread because their mail client doesn't get
>> it. Is  there a way to merge the two fragmented threads again
>> with  notmuch?
>
> there's a manual way to do it as a janky workaround:
>
>  * create a bogus e-mail message that References: a message-id
>  from each
>    split faction.
>
>  * inject that message into your notmuch message store
>
>  * delete that message

Nice trick :) Would this also work if I modified the reference of
the first email that breaks the thread to point to the email it is
quoting? I would have to get notmuch to re-read that email though
to update the database. But this approach would not involve first
creating a fake message and then deleting it again :)

Tomi Ollila-2 Tomi Ollila-2

On Wed, Jan 23 2019, Nicolas Bock wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sometimes during a lengthy discussion someone inadvertently breaks
> the email thread because their mail client doesn't get it. Is
> there a way to merge the two fragmented threads again with
> notmuch?

There is this secret trick where you send message to yourself
where any message-id from from both threads are included in
references: header...

> Best,
>
> Nick

Tomi

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[hidden email]> writes:

> See also the thread on this maiing list with Subject "thread merge/split
> proposal" from back in 2016, starting at
> id:[hidden email] though i don't think any of
> that has been implemented.

Well, message properties were originally designed for that, iirc. So
some of the prerequisites are tehre.

On Thu 2019-01-24 07:05:13 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> See also the thread on this maiing list with Subject "thread merge/split
>> proposal" from back in 2016, starting at
>> id:[hidden email] though i don't think any of
>> that has been implemented.
>
> Well, message properties were originally designed for that, iirc. So
> some of the prerequisites are tehre.

true, i didn't mean to skip over that.  It'd be great if Someoneā„¢ wanted
to pick up the thread there and add a "notmuch merge" and "notmuch
split" command on top of the properties work.

   --dkg