help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?

Jonathan Wilner Jonathan Wilner

help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?

Hi all,

Sorry in advance for what's likely a basic configuration question on the Emacs/notmuch side of things. I'd like to have a shortcut that goes into notmuch-tree from notmuch-hello. Following the docs & other configurations, it appears that :search-type 'tree' should work. An example from my configuration is below:

 (:name "inbox tree" :query "tag:inbox date:2021" :search-type 'tree :key "i")

This also appears to register properly with Emacs. Checking via the customization settings, the option of "tree" is properly ticked.  However, no matter what I do, the results always open in the standard configuration, not the tree.

I'm guessing this is a simple error of my own doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again to the developers for the amazing tools.

Best,

Jonathan

Re: help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?

[hidden email] writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry in advance for what's likely a basic configuration question on the Emacs/notmuch side of things. I'd like to have a shortcut that goes into notmuch-tree from notmuch-hello. Following the docs & other configurations, it appears that :search-type 'tree' should work. An example from my configuration is below:
>
>  (:name "inbox tree" :query "tag:inbox date:2021" :search-type 'tree :key "i")
>
> This also appears to register properly with Emacs. Checking via the customization settings, the option of "tree" is properly ticked.  However, no matter what I do, the results always open in the standard configuration, not the tree.
>
> I'm guessing this is a simple error of my own doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try without the ' in front of tree. At least if I use
customize-variable, I get :search-type tree, no quote.

Jonathan Wilner Jonathan Wilner

Re: help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?

Hi David,

I tried that as well when it hit the problem. I got the same result. :-(

Jonathan Wilner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> I tried that as well when it hit the problem. I got the same result. :-(

Did you try using M-x customize-variable to make the change?

Jonathan Wilner Jonathan Wilner

Re: help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?

Great idea. I tried it and got the same result - not opening in Tree mode. :-(

David Edmondson David Edmondson

On Friday, 2021-01-08 at 07:44:45 -08, Jonathan Wilner wrote:

> Great idea. I tried it and got the same result - not opening in Tree mode. :-(

Please show us the (complete) value of your notmuch-saved-searches
variable.

You can get it by going to the *scratch* buffer and typing
notmuch-saved-searches, followed by control-j (sorry if that's obvious,
just wanted to be sure).

dme.
--
Oliver darling, call Mister Haney, I think our speakers are blown.

Re: help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?

Jonathan Wilner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Great idea. I tried it and got the same result - not opening in Tree mode. :-(

Another possibly obvious point, are you sure it's not tree mode? It only
opens the thread window by default (so no split pane until you hit
return on a message)a. It does display a tree view of the threads, but
that might not be totally obvious if e.g. most threads have a single
message. The buffer name should start with "*notmuch-tree-" though, if
it really is in tree mode.

Jonathan Wilner Jonathan Wilner

Re: help with :search-type 'tree' in Emacs/notmuch config?

Hi David and David,

Thanks for your help with this! I took everything out of my config and started from scratch via customize. I believe I found my own configuration error this way - two of the saved searches may have had the same shortcut key of “I”.

When I made them unique, naturally I was able to get both results, not just the first choice that didn’t have tree set. Oof.

Thank you for the great program and for helping me blunder thru this debugging.