forwarding multiple messages from notmuch emacs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Daniel Kahn Gillmor Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

forwarding multiple messages from notmuch emacs

hi notmuch folks--

i'd like to be able to forward several messages from a given thread (up
to and including the whole thread) to someone else.  I use
notmuch-emacs.

I don't think it's possible to do this at the moment;
notmuch-show-forward-message just forwards the message where the point
is located, even if the current region covers more than one message.

I'd be happy to have a notmuch-show-forward-thread or
notmuch-show-forward-all-expanded-messages or
notmuch-show-forward-messages-from-region capability, but my elisp-fu is
weak.  I'd be happy to test if someone wanted to send me a patch though
:)

Background: one of the reasons that people often give for the terrible
e-mail practice of top-posting-with-all-previous-messages-trailing is
that they want to be able to send a message to someone else and have
them be able to see the whole thread (never mind that these kind of
reverse-chronological forwarded messages are difficult to read).  I'd
like to be able to respond to those claims with something like
"reasonable MUAs should let you easily forward all messages in a thread
if you want to catch someone up."

I consider notmuch-emacs a reasonable MUA :)

thanks everyone for notmuch,

        --dkg

_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

attachment0 (983 bytes) Download Attachment
Jeremy Nickurak Jeremy Nickurak
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: forwarding multiple messages from notmuch emacs

Adam


On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi notmuch folks--

i'd like to be able to forward several messages from a given thread (up
to and including the whole thread) to someone else.  I use
notmuch-emacs.

I don't think it's possible to do this at the moment;
notmuch-show-forward-message just forwards the message where the point
is located, even if the current region covers more than one message.

I'd be happy to have a notmuch-show-forward-thread or
notmuch-show-forward-all-expanded-messages or
notmuch-show-forward-messages-from-region capability, but my elisp-fu is
weak.  I'd be happy to test if someone wanted to send me a patch though
:)

Background: one of the reasons that people often give for the terrible
e-mail practice of top-posting-with-all-previous-messages-trailing is
that they want to be able to send a message to someone else and have
them be able to see the whole thread (never mind that these kind of
reverse-chronological forwarded messages are difficult to read).  I'd
like to be able to respond to those claims with something like
"reasonable MUAs should let you easily forward all messages in a thread
if you want to catch someone up."

I consider notmuch-emacs a reasonable MUA :)

thanks everyone for notmuch,

        --dkg

_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch



_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Jeremy Nickurak Jeremy Nickurak
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: forwarding multiple messages from notmuch emacs

Sigh. Premature posting...

Adam Wolfe Gordon on here gave me a tip for this. It's not perfect, but it works:

Start forwarding each of the emails, and just cut-and-paste the <#mml>..</#mml> sections out of the buffers into a new email. That'll have the effect of forwarding all the emails.


On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Jeremy Nickurak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Adam


On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi notmuch folks--

i'd like to be able to forward several messages from a given thread (up
to and including the whole thread) to someone else.  I use
notmuch-emacs.

I don't think it's possible to do this at the moment;
notmuch-show-forward-message just forwards the message where the point
is located, even if the current region covers more than one message.

I'd be happy to have a notmuch-show-forward-thread or
notmuch-show-forward-all-expanded-messages or
notmuch-show-forward-messages-from-region capability, but my elisp-fu is
weak.  I'd be happy to test if someone wanted to send me a patch though
:)

Background: one of the reasons that people often give for the terrible
e-mail practice of top-posting-with-all-previous-messages-trailing is
that they want to be able to send a message to someone else and have
them be able to see the whole thread (never mind that these kind of
reverse-chronological forwarded messages are difficult to read).  I'd
like to be able to respond to those claims with something like
"reasonable MUAs should let you easily forward all messages in a thread
if you want to catch someone up."

I consider notmuch-emacs a reasonable MUA :)

thanks everyone for notmuch,

        --dkg

_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch




_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Daniel Kahn Gillmor Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: forwarding multiple messages from notmuch emacs

On 04/25/2013 02:12 AM, Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
> Sigh. Premature posting...
>
> Adam Wolfe Gordon on here gave me a tip for this. It's not perfect, but it
> works:
>
> Start forwarding each of the emails, and just cut-and-paste the
> <#mml>..</#mml> sections out of the buffers into a new email. That'll have
> the effect of forwarding all the emails.

Thanks!  That does work of course, but i'd like it to be simpler and
easier :)  Especially for longer threads, the process you describe is
pretty tedious.

Any takers?

        --dkg


_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment
David Edmondson David Edmondson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: forwarding multiple messages from notmuch emacs

In reply to this post by Daniel Kahn Gillmor
On Tue, Apr 23 2013, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> hi notmuch folks--
>
> i'd like to be able to forward several messages from a given thread (up
> to and including the whole thread) to someone else.  I use
> notmuch-emacs.
>
> I don't think it's possible to do this at the moment;
> notmuch-show-forward-message just forwards the message where the point
> is located, even if the current region covers more than one message.

I believe that this is fixed in commit
a982773dfb6e8efe1bcee90e888f2560ad006fb5. Could you test and confirm,
please?

> I'd be happy to have a notmuch-show-forward-thread or
> notmuch-show-forward-all-expanded-messages or
> notmuch-show-forward-messages-from-region capability, but my elisp-fu is
> weak.  I'd be happy to test if someone wanted to send me a patch though
> :)
>
> Background: one of the reasons that people often give for the terrible
> e-mail practice of top-posting-with-all-previous-messages-trailing is
> that they want to be able to send a message to someone else and have
> them be able to see the whole thread (never mind that these kind of
> reverse-chronological forwarded messages are difficult to read).  I'd
> like to be able to respond to those claims with something like
> "reasonable MUAs should let you easily forward all messages in a thread
> if you want to catch someone up."
>
> I consider notmuch-emacs a reasonable MUA :)
>
> thanks everyone for notmuch,
>
>         --dkg
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Daniel Kahn Gillmor Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: forwarding multiple messages from notmuch emacs

On Sun 2016-04-10 15:26:35 +0100, David Edmondson wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23 2013, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
>> hi notmuch folks--
>>
>> i'd like to be able to forward several messages from a given thread (up
>> to and including the whole thread) to someone else.  I use
>> notmuch-emacs.
>>
>> I don't think it's possible to do this at the moment;
>> notmuch-show-forward-message just forwards the message where the point
>> is located, even if the current region covers more than one message.
>
> I believe that this is fixed in commit
> a982773dfb6e8efe1bcee90e888f2560ad006fb5. Could you test and confirm,
> please?
Many years later, i follow up on this message -- yes, it does work!  in
particular, 'F' invokes notmuch-show-forward-open-messages, which is
exactly what i want it to do.  Thank you, dme!

sorry for the lag in following up.

      --dkg

_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

signature.asc (233 bytes) Download Attachment