emacs-notmuch: Set variables based on From when composing

Thomas Schneider Thomas Schneider

emacs-notmuch: Set variables based on From when composing

Hello list,

I use notmuch with the Emacs frontend and multiple accounts.  I’d like
it to set the domain part of Message-Id header of any mail I compose to
something sensible, e.g. the FQDN of the host (which does not seem to be
easy, see [0]) or the domain part of the From header.

I was thinking about setting message-user-fqdn based on the From header
in an appropriate hook, but I haven’t found yet where and how to do
this.

In fact, this would be useful for more variables, such as
message-user-organization or message-signature(-file).  Like
notmuch-fcc-dirs, just for other variables.

I’d appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,
        --qsx

[0] https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/12649/local-hosts-fqdn-in-emacs-25

Re: emacs-notmuch: Set variables based on From when composing

Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> I use notmuch with the Emacs frontend and multiple accounts.  I’d like
> it to set the domain part of Message-Id header of any mail I compose to
> something sensible, e.g. the FQDN of the host (which does not seem to be
> easy, see [0]) or the domain part of the From header.

There is some discussion on the wiki of using gnus-alias and
message-templ with notmuch. The latter is more about setting headers.

> I was thinking about setting message-user-fqdn based on the From header
> in an appropriate hook, but I haven’t found yet where and how to do
> this.

There is notmuch-mua-send-hook (which by default just runs message-send-hook)

David Bremner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thomas Schneider <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I use notmuch with the Emacs frontend and multiple accounts.  I’d like
>> it to set the domain part of Message-Id header of any mail I compose to
>> something sensible, e.g. the FQDN of the host (which does not seem to be
>> easy, see [0]) or the domain part of the From header.
>
> There is some discussion on the wiki of using gnus-alias and
> message-templ with notmuch. The latter is more about setting headers.
Thanks for the pointer.  gnus-alias seems to work so far.  I also use it
to set the Fcc header to avoid duplicating address matches.

>>> I was thinking about setting message-user-fqdn based on the From header
>> in an appropriate hook, but I haven’t found yet where and how to do
>> this.
>
> There is notmuch-mua-send-hook (which by default just runs
> message-send-hook)

This seems to be run too late, so as for now, I use message-setup-hook
and always define the address I want to send as beforehand.

---
(add-hook 'message-setup-hook
          (lambda ()
            (make-local-variable 'message-user-fqdn)
            (setq message-user-fqdn
                  (car (reverse (split-string
                                 (car (mail-header-parse-address
                                       (message-field-value "From")))
                                 "@"))))))
---

Maybe I could add Message-ID to one of the headers added beforehand so
that I see what is generated.