[emacs] message list view

Discussion on #notmuch the other day led me to wonder how useful a
"message list" view would be. Essentially this would display a single
line summary for individual messages matching a query and allow
e.g. tagging operations or "opening" the message to get a more complete
view.

I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble of maintaining another view.  I
think that "notmuch show --entire-thread=false --body=false
--format=sexp" is enough for the CLI backend.

David Edmondson David Edmondson

Re: [emacs] message list view

On Tuesday, 2018-12-11 at 11:20:55 -04, David Bremner wrote:

> Discussion on #notmuch the other day led me to wonder how useful a
> "message list" view would be. Essentially this would display a single
> line summary for individual messages matching a query and allow
> e.g. tagging operations or "opening" the message to get a more complete
> view.

Doesn't tree view get you this?

dme.
--
You bring light in.

Re: [emacs] message list view

David Edmondson <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tuesday, 2018-12-11 at 11:20:55 -04, David Bremner wrote:
>
>> Discussion on #notmuch the other day led me to wonder how useful a
>> "message list" view would be. Essentially this would display a single
>> line summary for individual messages matching a query and allow
>> e.g. tagging operations or "opening" the message to get a more complete
>> view.
>
> Doesn't tree view get you this?
>
> dme.

Not exactly in the case where a query matches only a small number of messages in
a thread. But it might be better than nothing (and has the bonus of
existing ;)

Jeff Templon Jeff Templon

Re: [emacs] message list view

> David Edmondson <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> On Tuesday, 2018-12-11 at 11:20:55 -04, David Bremner wrote:
>>
>>> Discussion on #notmuch the other day led me to wonder how useful a
>>> "message list" view would be. Essentially this would display a single
>>> line summary for individual messages matching a query and allow
>>> e.g. tagging operations or "opening" the message to get a more complete
>>> view.

I think it'd be useful.  I'll give you an example that always bugs me:
if I look in "unread" (the standard startup screen search) and see some
new message in a long thread of which I've deleted a bunch of messages,
and I type 'd' to delete, it actually first undeletes (or to be precise,
it toggles the already-present deleted tag on) all the already-deleted
messages in the thread, then I have to hit 'd' again to delete all of
them.

If it were a message view instead of a thread view, I could just delete
the dang message ;-)

JT
Mark Walters Mark Walters

Re: [emacs] message list view

Dear All

I think this could be very useful -- indeed I currently have been running some scruffy patches implementing this for the last couple of months.

What I have done is modify notmuch-show.c so that you can pass a --unthreaded option and it returns each message as if it were a thread on its own. Then notmuch-tree basically "just works" with this output.

The reason I like it was I found I was sometimes missing messages when multiple messages arrived in the same thread.

I haven't tried Bremner's suggestion of just not passing entire-thread; it would give a slightly odd ordering of the messages (all matching messages by thread, and in thread order) rather than just date order.

My patches are against a rather outdated version of notmuch but I can probably update and post relatively easily if people would like to try it.

Best wishes

Mark

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018, Jeff Templon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> David Bremner <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> David Edmondson <[hidden email]> writes:

> I think it'd be useful.  I'll give you an example that always bugs me:
> if I look in "unread" (the standard startup screen search) and see some
> new message in a long thread of which I've deleted a bunch of messages,
> and I type 'd' to delete, it actually first undeletes (or to be precise,
> it toggles the already-present deleted tag on) all the already-deleted
> messages in the thread, then I have to hit 'd' again to delete all of
> them.
>
> If it were a message view instead of a thread view, I could just delete
> the dang message ;-)
>
> JT

Re: [emacs] message list view

Mark Walters <[hidden email]> writes:

> I haven't tried Bremner's suggestion of just not passing
> entire-thread; it would give a slightly odd ordering of the messages
> (all matching messages by thread, and in thread order) rather than
> just date order.

I hadn't realized that --no-entire-thread still preserved thread
order. Is that actually useful/used? Maybe it would make more sense to
change that order than to add another option.