backing up tags

Alan Schmitt Alan Schmitt

backing up tags

Hello,

I do not include my (huge, more than 5GB) notmuch database in backups,
as it can be recreated from the email files… with one exception: tags.
So I’m wondering if there is a way to backup these tags (and only the
tags) with the hope it would be much smaller. Do you know ways to do it?

Best,

Alan

Martin Jambor Martin Jambor

Re: backing up tags

Hello,

On Fri, Mar 26 2021, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I do not include my (huge, more than 5GB) notmuch database in backups,
> as it can be recreated from the email files… with one exception: tags.
> So I’m wondering if there is a way to backup these tags (and only the
> tags) with the hope it would be much smaller. Do you know ways to do it?

I believe that "notmuch dump" is supposed to do exactly that.  At least
I hope so because that is how I am backing up my email tags :-)

Martin
Alan Schmitt Alan Schmitt

Re: backing up tags

Hello,

On 2021-03-26 15:31, Martin Jambor <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 26 2021, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I do not include my (huge, more than 5GB) notmuch database in backups,
>> as it can be recreated from the email files… with one exception: tags.
>> So I’m wondering if there is a way to backup these tags (and only the
>> tags) with the hope it would be much smaller. Do you know ways to do it?
>>

> I believe that "notmuch dump" is supposed to do exactly that.  At least
> I hope so because that is how I am backing up my email tags :-)
Thank you for the suggestion, I’ll have a look. Someone also privately
suggested https://framagit.org/manu/notmuch-tools, which can be used for
tags synchronization.

Thanks again,

Alan