Working with Maildir storage?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman Lars Kellogg-Stedman

Working with Maildir storage?

I saw the LWN article and decided to take a look at notmuch.  I'm
currently using mutt and mairix to index and read a collection of
Maildir mail folders (around 40,000 messages total).

notmuch indexed the messages without complaint, but my attempt at
searching bombed out. Running, for example:

  notmuch search storage

Resulted in 4604 lines of errors along the lines of:

  Error opening
  /home/lars/Mail/read-messages.2008/cur/1246413773.24928_27334.hostname,U=3026:2,S:
  Too many open files

I'm curious if this is expected behavior (i.e., notmuch does not work
with Maildir) or if something else is going on.

Cheers,

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <[hidden email]>
Senior Technologist, Computing and Information Technology

Mikhail Gusarov Mikhail Gusarov

Re: Working with Maildir storage?

Twas brillig at 14:00:54 17.11.2009 UTC-05 when [hidden email] did gyre and gimble:

 LK> Resulted in 4604 lines of errors along the lines of:

 LK>   Error opening
 LK>   /home/lars/Mail/read-messages.2008/cur/1246413773.24928_27334.hostname,U=3026:2,S:
 LK>   Too many open files

See the patch just posted here.

--
  http://fossarchy.blogspot.com/

Lars Kellogg-Stedman Lars Kellogg-Stedman

Re: Working with Maildir storage?

> See the patch just posted here.

Is the list archived anywhere?  The obvious archives
(http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/) aren't available, and I
think I subscribed too late to get the patch (I only just saw the
discussion about it).

It doesn't look like the patch is in git yet.

-- Lars

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <[hidden email]>
Senior Technologist, Computing and Information Technology
Harvard University School of Engineering and Applied Sciences

Mikhail Gusarov Mikhail Gusarov

Re: Working with Maildir storage?

Twas brillig at 15:33:01 17.11.2009 UTC-05 when [hidden email] did gyre and gimble:

 LK> Is the list archived anywhere?  The obvious archives
 LK> (http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/) aren't available, and I
 LK> think I subscribed too late to get the patch (I only just saw the
 LK> discussion about it).

 LK> It doesn't look like the patch is in git yet.

Just has been pushed

--
  http://fossarchy.blogspot.com/

Keith Packard Keith Packard

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:33:01 -0500, Lars Kellogg-Stedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > See the patch just posted here.

I've also pushed a slightly more complicated (and complete) fix to my
private notmuch repository

git://keithp.com/git/notmuch

> Is the list archived anywhere?

Oops. Looks like Carl's mail server is broken. He's traveling to
Barcelona today and so it won't get fixed for a while.

Thanks to everyone for trying out notmuch!

-keith

Lars Kellogg-Stedman Lars Kellogg-Stedman

Re: Working with Maildir storage?

> I've also pushed a slightly more complicated (and complete) fix to my
> private notmuch repository

The version of lib/messages.cc in your repo doesn't build because it's
missing "#include <stdint.h>" (for the uint32_t on line 466).

Carl Worth-2 Carl Worth-2

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:00:54 -0500, Lars Kellogg-Stedman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I saw the LWN article and decided to take a look at notmuch.  I'm
> currently using mutt and mairix to index and read a collection of
> Maildir mail folders (around 40,000 messages total).

Welcome, Lars!

I hadn't even seen that Keith's blog post had been picked up by lwn.net.
That's very interesting. So, thanks for coming and trying out notmuch.

>   Error opening
>   /home/lars/Mail/read-messages.2008/cur/1246413773.24928_27334.hostname,U=3026:2,S:
>   Too many open files

Sadly, the lwn article coincided with me having just introduced this
bug, and then getting on a Trans-Atlantic flight. So I fixed the bug
fairly quickly, but there was quite a bit of latency before I could push
the fix out. It should be fixed now.

> I'm curious if this is expected behavior (i.e., notmuch does not work
> with Maildir) or if something else is going on.

Notmuch works just fine with maildir---it's one of the things that it
likes the best.

Happy hacking,

-Carl