What to people use for calendar invites?

David Mazieres David Mazieres

What to people use for calendar invites?

I've been running into this issue lately where I agree to meet people
and we say it's confirmed, but if don't send them a calendar invite of
mime type text/calendar, then it's as if we never agreed and they don't
show up.  I get, "Oh, you never sent me a calendar invite so it wasn't
in my calendar."

I'm wondering if others have this problem and have figured the easiest
way to integrate notmuch with some kind of calendaring software that
generates ics or text/calendar attachments.

Thanks,
David
Olivier Berger-3 Olivier Berger-3

Re: What to people use for calendar invites?

Hi.

[hidden email] writes:

> I've been running into this issue lately where I agree to meet people
> and we say it's confirmed, but if don't send them a calendar invite of
> mime type text/calendar, then it's as if we never agreed and they don't
> show up.  I get, "Oh, you never sent me a calendar invite so it wasn't
> in my calendar."
>
> I'm wondering if others have this problem and have figured the easiest
> way to integrate notmuch with some kind of calendaring software that
> generates ics or text/calendar attachments.

I'm curious too.

What I'd like to be able to do on notifications I receive from Zimbra,
typically (text/calendar meeting.ics attachment), is to import them into
org-mode.

If anyone has a solution to share ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

--
Olivier BERGER
http://www-public.telecom-sudparis.eu/~berger_o/ - OpenPGP-Id: 2048R/5819D7E8

David Mazieres David Mazieres

What do people use for calendar invites?

Calendar invites and the text/calendar mime type seem to be getting
increasingly important.  I asked about this five years ago and didn't
get a good response, so I apologize for the repeat question, but I'm
wondering if anything has changed since then.

If you have found a good solution for integrating your calendar with
notmuchmail, would you mind sharing what you are doing?  Some specific
questions:

  * What's a good way to generate text/calendar attachments from within
    notmuch (especially the emacs interface, which I use)?

  * What's a good way to apply text/calendar attachments to a calendar
    from within notmuch?

  * For those of us who hate gmail and love notmuch, but are still stuck
    using and hating google calendar, what alternative solutions should
    we be considering?

Thanks,
David
Brian Sniffen-2 Brian Sniffen-2

Re: What do people use for calendar invites?

I don’t have an answer that lives in Emacs; I just let another imap client (Apple Calendar) read the mailbox for invitations and maintain my calendar. I just have to make sure getmail doesn’t delete the invitation messages.

--
Brian Sniffen

Brian Sniffen <[hidden email]> writes:

> I don’t have an answer that lives in Emacs; I just let another imap
> client (Apple Calendar) read the mailbox for invitations and maintain
> my calendar. I just have to make sure getmail doesn’t delete the
> invitation messages.

I have read about org-caldav, but I'm not sure how smooth the experience
is. It mentions how to get it working with google calendar, so I guess
that's hopeful.

[1]: https://github.com/dengste/org-caldav
Jani Nikula Jani Nikula

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021, David Mazieres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Calendar invites and the text/calendar mime type seem to be getting
> increasingly important.  I asked about this five years ago and didn't
> get a good response, so I apologize for the repeat question, but I'm
> wondering if anything has changed since then.
>
> If you have found a good solution for integrating your calendar with
> notmuchmail, would you mind sharing what you are doing?  Some specific
> questions:
>
>   * What's a good way to generate text/calendar attachments from within
>     notmuch (especially the emacs interface, which I use)?
>
>   * What's a good way to apply text/calendar attachments to a calendar
>     from within notmuch?
>
>   * For those of us who hate gmail and love notmuch, but are still stuck
>     using and hating google calendar, what alternative solutions should
>     we be considering?

TL;DR I don't have a solution yet.

---

I've had this draft idea for integrating calendar support for
notmuch-emacs for a long time now. You'd have a command-line tool for
actually managing the calendar, and some elisp glue code to integrate
that to notmuch-emacs, as well as with something to pretty display of
the calendar. (I'm personally not a fan of org-mode, so I pretty much
ruled that out from the start for anything I'd use myself. YMMV.)

I got as far as writing the beginnings of a notmuch-like command-line
tool, "late", for calendar search [1]. It's actually usable for
searching, but it doesn't do much else. I'd like it to be able to
generate calendar invites and replies to them, in a way that's easy to
use from notmuch-emacs.

For the display of calendar information in emacs, I thought calfw looked
pretty [2]. It does seem to be a bit abandoned, unfortunately, and I
haven't checked the status lately. It wasn't too hard to make
notmuch-emacs display calender information using calfw, but to make it
more useful, you'd have to take the calendar in the email, combine that
with the user's calendar using the cli tool, and then feed it to calfw
to show the calendar event in context. And add bindings to actually do
stuff instead of just view.

I ran out of steam and time with this a bit, and anyway I don't have the
elisp skills for integrating this nicely to notmuch-emacs.

So the project is, uh, late. :p

BR,
Jani.

[1] https://github.com/jnikula/late
[2] https://github.com/kiwanami/emacs-calfw
Gregor Zattler Gregor Zattler

Re: What do people use for calendar invites?

Hi David, notmuch users and developers,
* David Mazieres <[hidden email]> [20. Jan. 2021]:
>   * What's a good way to generate text/calendar attachments from within
>     notmuch (especially the emacs interface, which I use)?

there was at least a WIP-Patch by Mark Walters in
order to enable  notmuch -emacs notmuch-show to show and reply
to calendar invites in

id:[hidden email]

sadly it AFAIK nothing happened with this patch.

Ciao, Gregor
--