Removing notmuch-wash-excerpt-citations from hook breaks fontlocking

Sean Whitton Sean Whitton

Removing notmuch-wash-excerpt-citations from hook breaks fontlocking

Hello,

Steps to reproduce:

1. emacs -q

2. M-x load-library notmuch RET

3. M-x customize-variable notmuch-show-insert-text/plain-hook RET

4. Untick notmuch-wash-excerpt-citations

5. Open notmuch-show on a message

Expected result:

Quoted text is fontlocked, i.e. a different colour to body text.

Actual result:

Quoted text is not fontlocked.

Thanks.

--
Sean Whitton

Re: Removing notmuch-wash-excerpt-citations from hook breaks fontlocking

Sean Whitton <[hidden email]> writes:

> 3. M-x customize-variable notmuch-show-insert-text/plain-hook RET
>
> 4. Untick notmuch-wash-excerpt-citations
>
> 5. Open notmuch-show on a message
>
> Expected result:
>
> Quoted text is fontlocked, i.e. a different colour to body text.
>
> Actual result:
>
> Quoted text is not fontlocked.

The issue is that the notmuch-wash-cited-text is applied in
notmuch-was-excerpt-citations. A simple solution would be to make
another wash function that did less (only did the overlay application)
and use that.

Sean Whitton Sean Whitton

On Wed 25 Jul 2018 at 04:33PM +0800, David Bremner wrote:

> The issue is that the notmuch-wash-cited-text is applied in
> notmuch-was-excerpt-citations. A simple solution would be to make
> another wash function that did less (only did the overlay application)
> and use that.

Thank you for your reply.

Here is how to get what I wanted when I ran into this bug:

  ;; don't collapse cited text
  ;; We ought to be able to just remove
  ;; `notmuch-wash-excerpt-citations' from
  ;; `notmuch-show-insert-text/plain-hook', but that function is also
  ;; responsible for colouring cited text (this is an upstream bug:
  ;; that function does the colouring for performance reasons but the
  ;; right answer is to use fontlocking, not overlays, for the colouring)
  (setq notmuch-wash-citation-lines-prefix 10000
        notmuch-wash-citation-lines-suffix 10000)

--
Sean Whitton