Really nice way to search for email

Domingo Gómez Domingo Gómez

Really nice way to search for email

Dear all,

My name is Domingo, an emacs user and a newbie to notmuch.
Previously, I used gnus for email related tasks, however at some point it became very slow for daily use.
Reading blogs, I show a big base of users of emacs + offlineimap + notmuch. I must tell you that, after installing it, I was impressed. Searching for emails
is really fast and intuitive.

I am excited to learn more about it. Right now, I have some questions:
  • How can I sort the messages in a thread from the newest to oldest?
  • Some emails are answers to emails that I sent and contain things like: On 09/08/18 13:13, <MY NAME> wrote: Is it possible to not show it by default? and is it possible to set a key to show it again?
  • Also in a thread, using notmuch-show, is there any key to move to the next message of the thread?
Thanks!

Best regards,
Domingo.

Gregor Zattler Gregor Zattler

Re: Really nice way to search for email

Hi Domingo,
* Domingo Gómez <[hidden email]> [2018-08-11; 11:14]:
>    - How can I sort the messages in a thread from the newest to
>    oldest?

I would not know of a way to achieve this.

>    - Some emails are answers to emails that I sent and contain things like: On
>    09/08/18 13:13, <MY NAME> wrote: Is it possible to not show it by
>    default? and is it possible to set a key to show it again?

How about adding 'AND NOT "<MY NAME>"' (without the single
quotes)?  Notmuch-emacs shows not-matching messages folded
or at least you can configure notmuch-emacs to do so.  Show the
folded message with RETURN or all of them with ALT+RETURN.

>    - Also in a thread, using notmuch-show, is there any key to move to the

That would be "n"?

Ciao; Gregor
--