Re: Bug#934082: elpa-notmuch: Shows remote images even when requested not to

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
David Bremner-2 David Bremner-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#934082: elpa-notmuch: Shows remote images even when requested not to

Andreas Kloeckner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Package: elpa-notmuch
> Version: 0.29.1-2
> Severity: normal
>
> Dear Maintainer,
>
> With the specified version of the package, and emacs of the following
> version:
>
> Versions of packages emacs25 depends on:
> ii  emacs-gtk  1:26.1+1-3.2
>
> when I view the message given in this file:
>
> https://ssl.tiker.net/nextcloud/index.php/s/QyBrSP6Etn8rmGn
>
> notmuch requests and shows remote images (in this case, the Facebook and
> Twitter icons) even despite the fact that I have the following
> 'customize' setting active:
>
> Hide Notmuch Show Text/Html Blocked Images: Value Menu Regexp: .*
>     State : SAVED and set.
>    Remote images that have URLs matching this regexp will be blocked.
>
> which I understand as "no remote images should ever be loaded".
>
> I'd be much obliged for any help. Thanks!
>
> Andreas
>
Your interpretation of that variable sounds about right (fwiw, '.'
should work as well as '.*'). On the other hand when I view that message
with the default settings I don't see any images. You can duplicate my
experiment with

1) emacs -q
2) M-x package-initialize
3) M-x notmuch

s subject:galerkin<return>

I suspect the outcome depends on the setting of html viewer, but please
let us know what you discover.

All the best,

David

P.S. In case the URL is not durable, I'm attaching the message in question


_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

raw-msg.txt:2,S (23K) Download Attachment
Andreas Kloeckner-2 Andreas Kloeckner-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#934082: elpa-notmuch: Shows remote images even when requested not to

Hi David,

David Bremner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Your interpretation of that variable sounds about right (fwiw, '.'
> should work as well as '.*'). On the other hand when I view that message
> with the default settings I don't see any images. You can duplicate my
> experiment with
>
> 1) emacs -q
> 2) M-x package-initialize
> 3) M-x notmuch
>
> s subject:galerkin<return>
>
> I suspect the outcome depends on the setting of html viewer, but please
> let us know what you discover.
Thanks for getting back to me! It turns out that your idea with the HTML
viewer (`mm-text-html-renderer`) was spot-on. I had that set to 'w3m',
and reverting it to the default (`shr`) not only renders faster and more
nicely, it also removes the undesired privacy problem of fetching remote
images.

When the image loading happened, I had w3m 0.5.3-37 and w3m-el-snapshot
1.4.632+0.20190731-1 (both via Debian packages) installed.

Thank you for your help!
Andreas

_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

signature.asc (847 bytes) Download Attachment
David Bremner-2 David Bremner-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#934082: elpa-notmuch: Shows remote images even when requested not to

Andreas Kloeckner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks for getting back to me! It turns out that your idea with the HTML
> viewer (`mm-text-html-renderer`) was spot-on. I had that set to 'w3m',
> and reverting it to the default (`shr`) not only renders faster and more
> nicely, it also removes the undesired privacy problem of fetching remote
> images.
>

Great.

Dear Notmuch people, should we document this issue somehow? Maybe even
try to detect it with customize?

David
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Rollins, Jameson Rollins, Jameson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#934082: elpa-notmuch: Shows remote images even when requested not to

On Wed, Aug 07 2019, David Bremner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear Notmuch people, should we document this issue somehow? Maybe even
> try to detect it with customize?

I would certainly appreciate some guarantee that my mail viewer was not
contacting the internet when I view mail.  I'm not sure how that could
be accomplished though, without simply auditing all the relevant
components.

jamie.
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Andreas Kloeckner-2 Andreas Kloeckner-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#934082: elpa-notmuch: Shows remote images even when requested not to

In reply to this post by David Bremner-2
David Bremner <[hidden email]> writes:

> Andreas Kloeckner <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Thanks for getting back to me! It turns out that your idea with the HTML
>> viewer (`mm-text-html-renderer`) was spot-on. I had that set to 'w3m',
>> and reverting it to the default (`shr`) not only renders faster and more
>> nicely, it also removes the undesired privacy problem of fetching remote
>> images.
>>
>
> Great.
>
> Dear Notmuch people, should we document this issue somehow? Maybe even
> try to detect it with customize?
One thing I wanted to emphasize is that this issue, as far as I can
tell, is a regression. I don't quite know what versions, but I do know
that previously remote content was not fetched when viewing a message.

Once again thanks for your help,
Andreas

_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

signature.asc (847 bytes) Download Attachment
David Bremner-2 David Bremner-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#934082: elpa-notmuch: Shows remote images even when requested not to

In reply to this post by Rollins, Jameson
"Rollins, Jameson" <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 07 2019, David Bremner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Notmuch people, should we document this issue somehow? Maybe even
>> try to detect it with customize?
>
> I would certainly appreciate some guarantee that my mail viewer was not
> contacting the internet when I view mail.  I'm not sure how that could
> be accomplished though, without simply auditing all the relevant
> components.

I meant more specifically, the issue that this variable is only
effective if your html converter is the default shr

d
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Daniel Kahn Gillmor Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug#934082: elpa-notmuch: Shows remote images even when requested not to

On Thu 2019-08-08 09:45:06 -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> I meant more specifically, the issue that this variable is only
> effective if your html converter is the default shr

Yes, this should be clearly documented, presumably in the documentation
text about the variable.

It would be even nicer if there was some way to alert the user that they
have this set to a non-default value *and* they are not using shr, but i
haven't thought through the emacs interface well enough to understand
how one could offer such a warning in a usable, safe, non-annoying, and
actionable fashion.

     --dkg

_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

signature.asc (233 bytes) Download Attachment