Python bindings for adoption

spaetz spaetz

Python bindings for adoption

Hi all, a happy new year!

After a few weeks of notmuch abstinence I am being overwhelmed with 750
new notmuch mails, and I really don't have the time or will (nor does my
family approve) to spend enormous amounts of time on notmuch. I am
already neglecting offlineimap, which also needs some attention.

As I have repeatedly stated that I want to hand over the maintainership
of the notmuch python bindings, and I would like to do it asap. I feel
that people like Patrick Totzke, or Justus Winter who generally have
been working on this far more intensely than I recently did are both
very well positioned to take on that role :-). Most importantly, they
actually work with the bindings while I don't use them myself anymore.

I will only merge bug fixes as of now, and not invest time to refactor
the code or add lots of bells and whistles. Let me know if anyone would
volunteer to take them on.

Looking forward to see more cool notmuch, alot, afew, and muchother
development progress.

Sebastian

Jameson Graef Rollins Jameson Graef Rollins

Re: Python bindings for adoption

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:14:58 +0100, Sebastian Spaeth <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After a few weeks of notmuch abstinence I am being overwhelmed with 750
> new notmuch mails, and I really don't have the time or will (nor does my
> family approve) to spend enormous amounts of time on notmuch. I am
> already neglecting offlineimap, which also needs some attention.

Hey, Sebastian.  Thank you so much for your hard work developing and
maintaining the python bindings.  You've done really great work, and it
is very much appreciated.

jamie.

Xavier Maillard-2 Xavier Maillard-2

Re: Python bindings for adoption

On Mon, 02 Jan 2012 17:14:58 +0100, Sebastian Spaeth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As I have repeatedly stated that I want to hand over the maintainership
> of the notmuch python bindings, and I would like to do it asap. I feel
> that people like Patrick Totzke, or Justus Winter who generally have
> been working on this far more intensely than I recently did are both
> very well positioned to take on that role :-). Most importantly, they
> actually work with the bindings while I don't use them myself anymore.

Thank you very much for your work and effort much appreciated.

/Xavier
Patrick Totzke Patrick Totzke

Re: Python bindings for adoption

Sebastian,

I'm sorry to hear of your decision to finally hand over the maintainership of the bindings
but of course I fully understand that you want to focus on other stuff.
Thanks for your great work! Your bindings were certainly one of the most important reasons for me to
switch to notmuch.

This said, I'd have to decline the offer to take over the bindings myself. Although it's tempting,
I don't feel confident enough to actually develop or competently review libnotmuch-level code
and having a lot on my plate with advancing alot I draw my line just here.
Of course this will not stop me from whining about bugs or occasionally sending in patches :).

I wish you good luck with all future projects and all the best for this new year.
Patrick

Justus Winter Justus Winter

Re: Python bindings for adoption

Hi Sebastian, hi everyone :)

Quoting Sebastian Spaeth (2012-01-02 17:14:58)

>Hi all, a happy new year!
>
>After a few weeks of notmuch abstinence I am being overwhelmed with 750
>new notmuch mails, and I really don't have the time or will (nor does my
>family approve) to spend enormous amounts of time on notmuch. I am
>already neglecting offlineimap, which also needs some attention.
>
>As I have repeatedly stated that I want to hand over the maintainership
>of the notmuch python bindings, and I would like to do it asap. I feel
>that people like Patrick Totzke, or Justus Winter who generally have
>been working on this far more intensely than I recently did are both
>very well positioned to take on that role :-). Most importantly, they
>actually work with the bindings while I don't use them myself anymore.
>
>I will only merge bug fixes as of now, and not invest time to refactor
>the code or add lots of bells and whistles. Let me know if anyone would
>volunteer to take them on.

I've decided to step up as a new maintainer for the libnotmuch python
bindings. I assume that I'll have to mail an ssh public key to someone
for repository access, right?

Cheers,
Justus

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:16:06 -0000, Justus Winter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've decided to step up as a new maintainer for the libnotmuch python
> bindings. I assume that I'll have to mail an ssh public key to someone
> for repository access, right?

That's right. Carl (in copy) handles repository access.

spaetz spaetz

Re: Python bindings for adoption

Hurray, thanks Justus. That is much appreciated.
Spaetz

David Bremner <[hidden email]> schrieb:

>On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:16:06 -0000, Justus Winter
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've decided to step up as a new maintainer for the libnotmuch python
>> bindings. I assume that I'll have to mail an ssh public key to
>someone
>> for repository access, right?
>>

>That's right. Carl (in copy) handles repository access.

Jameson Graef Rollins Jameson Graef Rollins

Re: Python bindings for adoption

On Sun, 08 Jan 2012 16:16:06 -0000, Justus Winter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've decided to step up as a new maintainer for the libnotmuch python
> bindings. I assume that I'll have to mail an ssh public key to someone
> for repository access, right?

That's great to hear, Justus.  Thanks for stepping up!

jamie.