Public notmuch.mbox missing some messages which are tagged in nmbug

W. Trevor King W. Trevor King

Public notmuch.mbox missing some messages which are tagged in nmbug

I was dusting off my local nmbug repository today, and noticed that
some messages are tagged in the nmbug repository [1] but missing from
our mbox archive [2].  Here's a list:

  $ nmbug status
  U       [hidden email]        obsolete
  U       [hidden email]        patch
  U       [hidden email]        obsolete
  U       [hidden email]        patch
  U       [hidden email]        obsolete
  U       [hidden email]        patch
  U       [hidden email]   obsolete
  U       [hidden email]   patch
  U       [hidden email] patch
  U       [hidden email] pushed
  U       [hidden email] patch
  U       [hidden email] pushed
  U       [hidden email]      moreinfo
  U       [hidden email]      patch
  U       [hidden email] patch
  U       [hidden email] pushed
  U       [hidden email] patch
  U       [hidden email] pushed

Some of those have Message-IDs which suggest their generation date,
but we can lookup the first tag for each message ID in the nmbug
history regardless:

  $ for id in $(nmbug status | awk '{print $2}' | uniq);
  > do
  >   nmbug log -- --date=short --format='%ad %h %an %s' --reverse -- "tags/${id}" | head -n1;
  > done | sort | uniq
  2017-05-08 65b227d David Bremner
  2017-05-10 5e0caf7 David Bremner
  2017-07-22 17f6f80 David Bremner
  2017-08-14 e82eb9c David Bremner

If somebody has copies of those messages, can they push them up into
the mbox?  Maybe they went to the freelists list [3]?  Maybe they were
off-list?  Maybe they just missed inclusion in the mbox?

There may be more messages missing from the archive which I happen to
have locally (e.g. maybe I was CCed), and I haven't checked for those.
But I know the entries listed above were missing as of 2017-10-10
20:41 UTC (my most recent archive download).

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://notmuchmail.org/nmbug/
     http://nmbug.notmuchmail.org/git/nmbug-tags.git
[2]: https://notmuchmail.org/archives/notmuch.mbox
[3]: https://www.freelists.org/list/notmuch

Re: Public notmuch.mbox missing some messages which are tagged in nmbug

"W. Trevor King" <[hidden email]> writes:

> If somebody has copies of those messages, can they push them up into
> the mbox?  Maybe they went to the freelists list [3]?  Maybe they were
> off-list?  Maybe they just missed inclusion in the mbox?

It's likely that they were sent to the freelists list. I don't know of
an easy way to add them to the archive on notmuchmail.org, but I'm open
to ideas.
Daniel Kahn Gillmor Daniel Kahn Gillmor

On Wed 2017-10-11 08:04:05 -0300, David Bremner wrote:
> "W. Trevor King" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> If somebody has copies of those messages, can they push them up into
>> the mbox?  Maybe they went to the freelists list [3]?  Maybe they were
>> off-list?  Maybe they just missed inclusion in the mbox?
>
> It's likely that they were sent to the freelists list. I don't know of
> an easy way to add them to the archive on notmuchmail.org, but I'm open
> to ideas.

if you have them locally, what if you were to just "bounce" them to the
mailing list right now?  that is, pipe them individually into "sendmail
[hidden email]"

the worst that happens is that some folks get a second copy of those
messages, but if they're using notmuch they won't care :)

        --dkg

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Wed 2017-10-11 08:04:05 -0300, David Bremner wrote:
>> "W. Trevor King" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> If somebody has copies of those messages, can they push them up into
>>> the mbox?  Maybe they went to the freelists list [3]?  Maybe they were
>>> off-list?  Maybe they just missed inclusion in the mbox?
>>
>> It's likely that they were sent to the freelists list. I don't know of
>> an easy way to add them to the archive on notmuchmail.org, but I'm open
>> to ideas.
>
> if you have them locally, what if you were to just "bounce" them to the
> mailing list right now?  that is, pipe them individually into "sendmail
> [hidden email]"
>
> the worst that happens is that some folks get a second copy of those
> messages, but if they're using notmuch they won't care :)

I can try, but I seem to recall mailman being hostile to bounces before.