Problem Building on OSX leopard 10.5.8

Saptarshi Guha Saptarshi Guha

Problem Building on OSX leopard 10.5.8

Hello,
Having given up on most email clients yet trapped by them, I came
across notmuch.
Quite eager to build,

1.download xapian,

A suggestion :

In the INSTALL/README file, mention that xapian-config should be on path
and that it be called xapian-config.
When I installed the latest, it was installed in /usr/local/bin (not
in my path)
at xapian-config-1.1

2. download gmime (no problem here)

3. Install talloc (the makefile has errors in it)

Problem Building notmuch:
I got this error:

lib/index.cc: In function ‘void
_index_address_mailbox(notmuch_message_t*, const char*,
InternetAddress*)’:
lib/index.cc:46: error: ‘strndup’ was not declared in this scope

Any ideas?
Thank you
Saptarshi

Carl Worth-2 Carl Worth-2

Re: Problem Building on OSX leopard 10.5.8

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:47:47 -0500, Saptarshi Guha <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Having given up on most email clients yet trapped by them, I came
> across notmuch.
> Quite eager to build,

Hi Saptarshi, Welcome to notmuch!

I hope you find it helpful.

> In the INSTALL/README file, mention that xapian-config should be on path
> and that it be called xapian-config.
> When I installed the latest, it was installed in /usr/local/bin (not
> in my path)
> at xapian-config-1.1

OK. I've added that now.

> 2. download gmime (no problem here)

Good news.

> 3. Install talloc (the makefile has errors in it)

What's the error here? (Not that it's our bug, but it would be nice to
report it to the talloc folks or perhaps warn notmuch users about it).

> lib/index.cc: In function void
> _index_address_mailbox(notmuch_message_t*, const char*,
> InternetAddress*):
> lib/index.cc:46: error: strndup was not declared in this scope

Some systems (including yours) don't have a strndup function. One
proposed plan is to put an implementation of strndup into notmuch, (it's
not a complex function). But then again, we could just change the caller
to use talloc_strndup instead.

Portability patches are always welcome, (otherwise I'll try to do things
when I can but I won't be able to test things well).

-Carl