Permissions of files created by notmuch

Georg Faerber Georg Faerber

Permissions of files created by notmuch

Hi all,

I'm using notmuch 0.26-1+b2 out of Debian unstable.
The files created inside .notmuch/xapian by notmuch are group and world
readable.  Is this on purpose? This seems quite suboptimal, especially
if one is using the recently introduced cleartext indexing feature..

Any feedback appreciated,
cheers,
Georg

Re: Permissions of files created by notmuch

Georg Faerber <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using notmuch 0.26-1+b2 out of Debian unstable.
> The files created inside .notmuch/xapian by notmuch are group and world
> readable.  Is this on purpose? This seems quite suboptimal, especially
> if one is using the recently introduced cleartext indexing feature..

I would expect Xapian (and hence notmuch) to use the users umask when
creating those files. Are you saying that's not the case, or that you
expect Xapian/notmuch to override the user's umask?

Daniel Kahn Gillmor Daniel Kahn Gillmor

On Sun 2018-03-18 04:30:06 +0100, Georg Faerber wrote:

> I'm using notmuch 0.26-1+b2 out of Debian unstable.
> The files created inside .notmuch/xapian by notmuch are group and world
> readable.  Is this on purpose? This seems quite suboptimal, especially
> if one is using the recently introduced cleartext indexing feature..

is your mailbox itself world-readable?  What is your umask?

in general, i'd expect notmuch to follow umask like any other unix
tool.  if we wanted it to be more restrictive, maybe that's a separate
use case.

See also discussion at id:[hidden email]
around whether "notmuch insert" and other tools should produce
world-readable files by default.

curious to hear what you think is the right choice here.

   --dkg