[Paul Wise] Bug#825886: notmuch: allow separation of command-line options and their values: --option foo

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
David Bremner-2 David Bremner-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Paul Wise] Bug#825886: notmuch: allow separation of command-line options and their values: --option foo

Package: notmuch
Version: 0.22-1
Severity: wishlist

It would be nice if notmuch would allow separation between command-line
options and their values so that I could run dump and not get an error.

pabs@chianamo ~ $ notmuch dump --gzip --output ~/.../notmuch-tags.gz
Option "output" needs a string argument.
Unrecognized option: --output
pabs@chianamo ~ $ notmuch dump --gzip --output=~/.../notmuch-tags.gz
Bad output file ~/.../notmuch-tags.gz

I don't want to have to manually type my home dir whenever I dump tags,
which I currently have to do since notmuch requires = as a separator.

pabs@chianamo ~ $ notmuch dump --gzip --output=/home/pabs/.../notmuch-tags.gz

Separation of long options and their values is a standard feature of
programs on Debian so it is surprising this doesn't work by default.

pabs@chianamo ~ $ ls -s --block-size M ~/.../notmuch-tags.gz
XXXM /home/pabs/.../notmuch-tags.gz
pabs@chianamo ~ $ ls -s --block-size=M ~/.../notmuch-tags.gz
XXXM /home/pabs/.../notmuch-tags.gz

-- System Information:
Debian Release: stretch/sid
  APT prefers testing-debug
  APT policy: (900, 'testing-debug'), (900, 'testing'), (860, 'testing-proposed-updates'), (800, 'unstable-debug'), (800, 'unstable'), (790, 'buildd-unstable'), (700, 'experimental-debug'), (700, 'experimental'), (690, 'buildd-experimental')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 4.6.0-trunk-amd64 (SMP w/4 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_AU.utf8, LC_CTYPE=en_AU.utf8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
Init: systemd (via /run/systemd/system)

Versions of packages notmuch depends on:
ii  libc6           2.22-9
ii  libglib2.0-0    2.48.1-1
ii  libgmime-2.6-0  2.6.20-1+b1
ii  libnotmuch4     0.22-1
ii  libtalloc2      2.1.6-1
ii  zlib1g          1:1.2.8.dfsg-2+b1

Versions of packages notmuch recommends:
ii  alot           0.3.6-1
ii  gnupg-agent    2.1.11-7
pn  gpgsm          <none>
ii  notmuch-emacs  0.22-1
ii  notmuch-mutt   0.22-1

notmuch suggests no packages.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

signature.asc (817 bytes) Download Attachment
Tomi Ollila-2 Tomi Ollila-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Paul Wise] Bug#825886: notmuch: allow separation of command-line options and their values: --option foo

On Tue, May 31 2016, David Bremner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Paul Wise <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Bug#825886: notmuch: allow separation of command-line options and their values: --option foo
> To: Debian Bug Tracking System <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 15:41:42 +0800
>
> [ Unknown signature status ]
> Package: notmuch
> Version: 0.22-1
> Severity: wishlist
>
> It would be nice if notmuch would allow separation between command-line
> options and their values so that I could run dump and not get an error.
>
> pabs@chianamo ~ $ notmuch dump --gzip --output ~/.../notmuch-tags.gz
> Option "output" needs a string argument.
> Unrecognized option: --output
> pabs@chianamo ~ $ notmuch dump --gzip --output=~/.../notmuch-tags.gz
> Bad output file ~/.../notmuch-tags.gz
>
> I don't want to have to manually type my home dir whenever I dump tags,
> which I currently have to do since notmuch requires = as a separator.

As a (temporary?) workaround you can use $HOME in command line.

>
> pabs@chianamo ~ $ notmuch dump --gzip --output=/home/pabs/.../notmuch-tags.gz
>
> Separation of long options and their values is a standard feature of
> programs on Debian so it is surprising this doesn't work by default.
>
> pabs@chianamo ~ $ ls -s --block-size M ~/.../notmuch-tags.gz
> XXXM /home/pabs/.../notmuch-tags.gz
> pabs@chianamo ~ $ ls -s --block-size=M ~/.../notmuch-tags.gz
> XXXM /home/pabs/.../notmuch-tags.gz
>
> -- System Information:
> Debian Release: stretch/sid
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
David Bremner-2 David Bremner-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Paul Wise] Bug#825886: notmuch: allow separation of command-line options and their values: --option foo

In reply to this post by David Bremner-2
David Bremner <[hidden email]> writes:

> From: Paul Wise <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Bug#825886: notmuch: allow separation of command-line options and their values: --option foo
> To: Debian Bug Tracking System <[hidden email]>
> Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 15:41:42 +0800
>

fixed in master / release
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Loading...