Moving mail store

Matthew Lear Matthew Lear

Moving mail store

Hi all. I plan to migrate my offlineimap mail store and notmuch database to a new machine in the next week or so. I wanted to check for any potential gotchas before I did this. I don't plan on keeping the same absolute paths to the maildir files on the new machine because the new top level mailstore location will be different. Will notmuch care about this change if I use the exported database (obtained from the old machine) on the new machine? I expect notmuch to only care about the message IDs themselves and update its database on the new machine when notmuch new is run. Is that correct?

Is there a recommended way to move mailstore in such a way that all tags are preserved even though the paths to the top level location of the mailstore is different?

Offlineimap shouldn't care as I think it just needs a top level directory to sync into, so a sync run on the new machine post-migration of mailstore shouldn't notice anything different provided that the offlineimap database and config files are moved and tweaked accordingly.

Cheers,
 Matt

Re: Moving mail store

Matthew Lear <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all. I plan to migrate my offlineimap mail store and notmuch database to
> a new machine in the next week or so. I wanted to check for any potential
> gotchas before I did this. I don't plan on keeping the same absolute paths
> to the maildir files on the new machine because the new top level mailstore
> location will be different. Will notmuch care about this change if I use
> the exported database (obtained from the old machine) on the new machine? I
> expect notmuch to only care about the message IDs themselves and update its
> database on the new machine when notmuch new is run. Is that correct?

yes

> Is there a recommended way to move mailstore in such a way that all tags
> are preserved even though the paths to the top level location of the
> mailstore is different?

tags are not connected with paths, only with message-ids.

Matthew Lear Matthew Lear

Re: Moving mail store

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 5:59 PM, David Bremner <[hidden email]> wrote:
Matthew Lear <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi all. I plan to migrate my offlineimap mail store and notmuch database to
> a new machine in the next week or so. I wanted to check for any potential
> gotchas before I did this. I don't plan on keeping the same absolute paths
> to the maildir files on the new machine because the new top level mailstore
> location will be different. Will notmuch care about this change if I use
> the exported database (obtained from the old machine) on the new machine? I
> expect notmuch to only care about the message IDs themselves and update its
> database on the new machine when notmuch new is run. Is that correct?

yes

> Is there a recommended way to move mailstore in such a way that all tags
> are preserved even though the paths to the top level location of the
> mailstore is different?

tags are not connected with paths, only with message-ids.

Excellent. Nothing else to be wary of then I guess. Thanks David.