Long delay when opening signed emails

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Michal Sojka Michal Sojka
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Long delay when opening signed emails

Hi all,

I experience annoyingly long delay, when opening some signed emails in
Emacs. This is likely related to the following lines appearing in my
log when opening the email:

Jan 30 17:07:46 dirmngr[7526]: no CRL available for issuer id A401B7A860C859FEA90E1A7EEE2BAF37C7FB918F
Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: resolving 'crl3.digicert.com' failed: Server indicated a failure
Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: can't connect to 'crl3.digicert.com': host not found
Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: error retrieving 'http://crl3.digicert.com/TERENAeSciencePersonalCA3.crl': Server indicated a failure
Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: crl_fetch via DP failed: Server indicated a failure
Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: command 'ISVALID' failed: Server indicated a failure

I don't understand why resolving crl3.digicert.com fails, because it
works from command line.

$ host crl3.digicert.com
crl3.digicert.com is an alias for cs9.wac.phicdn.net.
cs9.wac.phicdn.net has address 93.184.220.29

Any suggestions how to solve the failure or at least to get rid of the
delay?

Thanks
-Michal
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Daniel Kahn Gillmor Daniel Kahn Gillmor
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Long delay when opening signed emails

Hi Michal--

On Tue 2018-01-30 17:17:54 +0100, Michal Sojka wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I experience annoyingly long delay, when opening some signed emails in
> Emacs. This is likely related to the following lines appearing in my
> log when opening the email:
>
> Jan 30 17:07:46 dirmngr[7526]: no CRL available for issuer id A401B7A860C859FEA90E1A7EEE2BAF37C7FB918F
> Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: resolving 'crl3.digicert.com' failed: Server indicated a failure
> Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: can't connect to 'crl3.digicert.com': host not found
> Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: error retrieving 'http://crl3.digicert.com/TERENAeSciencePersonalCA3.crl': Server indicated a failure
> Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: crl_fetch via DP failed: Server indicated a failure
> Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: command 'ISVALID' failed: Server indicated a failure
>
> I don't understand why resolving crl3.digicert.com fails, because it
> works from command line.
I think the e-mail in question is S/MIME-signed.  is that right?

It looks like dirmngr is having some problems with network connectivity
-- perhaps it has the wrong information about DNS resolvers?

as a workaround, have you tried terminating dirmngr to let it restart
when needed?  you can do that with:

    gpgconf --kill dirmngr

(it should respawn automatically as needed)

> Any suggestions how to solve the failure or at least to get rid of the
> delay?

Apart from the workaround described above, if you decide that you'd
rather avoid doing CRL checks in general (you might want that to avoid
metadata leakage at least), you could put "disable-crl-checks" on its
own line in ~/.gnupg/gpgsm.conf

See also https://dev.gnupg.org/T3348 -- i'm asking upstream to default
to False there.

hth,

        --dkg

_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

signature.asc (847 bytes) Download Attachment
Michal Sojka Michal Sojka
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Long delay when opening signed emails

On Tue, Jan 30 2018, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> Hi Michal--
>
> On Tue 2018-01-30 17:17:54 +0100, Michal Sojka wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I experience annoyingly long delay, when opening some signed emails in
>> Emacs. This is likely related to the following lines appearing in my
>> log when opening the email:
>>
>> Jan 30 17:07:46 dirmngr[7526]: no CRL available for issuer id A401B7A860C859FEA90E1A7EEE2BAF37C7FB918F
>> Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: resolving 'crl3.digicert.com' failed: Server indicated a failure
>> Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: can't connect to 'crl3.digicert.com': host not found
>> Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: error retrieving 'http://crl3.digicert.com/TERENAeSciencePersonalCA3.crl': Server indicated a failure
>> Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: crl_fetch via DP failed: Server indicated a failure
>> Jan 30 17:08:06 dirmngr[7526]: command 'ISVALID' failed: Server indicated a failure
>>
>> I don't understand why resolving crl3.digicert.com fails, because it
>> works from command line.
>
> I think the e-mail in question is S/MIME-signed.  is that right?

Yes, that's correct.

> It looks like dirmngr is having some problems with network connectivity
> -- perhaps it has the wrong information about DNS resolvers?
>
> as a workaround, have you tried terminating dirmngr to let it restart
> when needed?  you can do that with:
>
>     gpgconf --kill dirmngr
>
> (it should respawn automatically as needed)

That didn't help.

>> Any suggestions how to solve the failure or at least to get rid of the
>> delay?
>
> Apart from the workaround described above, if you decide that you'd
> rather avoid doing CRL checks in general (you might want that to avoid
> metadata leakage at least), you could put "disable-crl-checks" on its
> own line in ~/.gnupg/gpgsm.conf

Perfect, that prevents the delays.

> See also https://dev.gnupg.org/T3348 -- i'm asking upstream to default
> to False there.

Hmm, now I see that my problem is probably the same as in
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=842291 referenced from
your GPG bug report.

Thank you.
-Michal
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch