Importing notmuch should not change user configuration

Christoph Groth Christoph Groth

Importing notmuch should not change user configuration

Hello,

I’m using emacs notmuch together with Gnus and I noticed that M-x
compose-mail stopped working properly for me since.  I identified
notmuch as culprit: (requre ’notmuch) sets the user-customizable
variable mail-user-agent.  I believe that such behavior is not
expected of emacs modules.

A patch [1] has been proposed to fix this in 2014, but never
accepted.  Is there a reason why the problematic behavior has been
kept?

Thanks,
Christoph

[1]
http://notmuch.198994.n3.nabble.com/PATCH-emacs-do-not-change-users-mail-agent-configuration-td4032745.html

Re: Importing notmuch should not change user configuration

Christoph Groth <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I’m using emacs notmuch together with Gnus and I noticed that M-x
> compose-mail stopped working properly for me since.  I identified
> notmuch as culprit: (requre ’notmuch) sets the user-customizable
> variable mail-user-agent.  I believe that such behavior is not
> expected of emacs modules.
>
> A patch [1] has been proposed to fix this in 2014, but never
> accepted.  Is there a reason why the problematic behavior has been
> kept?

I seems like the discussion in that thread stalled without any real
concensus (I have relinked this message to that thread, hopefully). As a
general principle I agree notmuch should not be changing global varibles
just by being loaded; OTOH I have not carefully analyzed this situation.