How to control quoting of original message when replying?

divan divan

How to control quoting of original message when replying?

Greetings all :)

I'm wondering, how to reply to a thread without quoting the older email?

Ideally I would like to not include a quoted reply by default, unless
I've selected the region, in which case the region should be inserted
into the reply.

I've read this answer in this stack exchange post, but modifying
message-cite-style seems to not change the reply in any way.
Tomi Ollila-2 Tomi Ollila-2

Re: How to control quoting of original message when replying?

On Tue, Jan 12 2021, [hidden email] wrote:

> Greetings all :)
>
> I'm wondering, how to reply to a thread without quoting the older email?

In case of using emacs MUA, press Ctrl-W immediately when entered to reply
buffer :D

> Ideally I would like to not include a quoted reply by default, unless
> I've selected the region, in which case the region should be inserted
> into the reply.

IIRC there is no such feature. If I think hard I could find that possibly
useful in some times (i.e. patches tol^H^H^Hwelcom)

> I've read this answer in this stack exchange post, but modifying
> message-cite-style seems to not change the reply in any way.

Which stack exchange post ?

Tomi
divan divan

Tomi Ollila <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 12 2021, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Greetings all :)
>>
>> I'm wondering, how to reply to a thread without quoting the older email?
>
> In case of using emacs MUA, press Ctrl-W immediately when entered to reply
> buffer :D

Strange, I never thought C-w / kill-region would work, unless a region
is selected.  I was also using whole-line-or-region mode which breaks
this functionality.  I'll report a bug on there site.

Thanks, C-w does help. :)

>> Ideally I would like to not include a quoted reply by default, unless
>> I've selected the region, in which case the region should be inserted
>> into the reply.
>
> IIRC there is no such feature. If I think hard I could find that possibly
> useful in some times (i.e. patches tol^H^H^Hwelcom)
>
>> I've read this answer in this stack exchange post, but modifying
>> message-cite-style seems to not change the reply in any way.
>
> Which stack exchange post ?

Apologies.

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/14625/how-to-control-quoting-of-original-message-when-replying