HTML email not on white background are illegible

Leo Gaspard Leo Gaspard

HTML email not on white background are illegible

So this may be an issue that's not worth fixing, but here it comes:

I receive email from people who write HTML emails. And sometimes these
people assume a white background, and write with a hardcoded dark grey
color, which makes everything hard to read.

TBH, I don't think the “solution” of just putting every HTML email on a
white background is actually a solution. So I wonder, do you have easy
workarounds for this issue? Changing the colorscheme on each such mail
is not very user-friendly :)

Again, thank you for notmuch (and emacs notmuch-mode)!
Leo
Istvan Marko Istvan Marko

Re: HTML email not on white background are illegible

Leo Gaspard <[hidden email]> writes:

> So this may be an issue that's not worth fixing, but here it comes:
>
> I receive email from people who write HTML emails. And sometimes these
> people assume a white background, and write with a hardcoded dark grey
> color, which makes everything hard to read.
>
> TBH, I don't think the “solution” of just putting every HTML email on a
> white background is actually a solution. So I wonder, do you have easy
> workarounds for this issue? Changing the colorscheme on each such mail
> is not very user-friendly :)

My personal workaround is to disable document colors and fonts:

(setq shr-use-colors nil
      shr-use-fonts nil)

This assumes that you have mm-text-html-renderer set to shr (which is
probably the case if you see colors).

For emails where this doesn't work well I use ". v" on the text/html
part to launch it in an external browser.

--
        Istvan
Leo Gaspard-3 Leo Gaspard-3

Istvan Marko <[hidden email]> writes:

> My personal workaround is to disable document colors and fonts:
>
> (setq shr-use-colors nil
>       shr-use-fonts nil)
>
> This assumes that you have mm-text-html-renderer set to shr (which is
> probably the case if you see colors).
>
> For emails where this doesn't work well I use ". v" on the text/html
> part to launch it in an external browser.

Thank you! This works perfectly :)