HTML email in notmuch-el.

Dmitry M Dmitry M

HTML email in notmuch-el.

Good afternoon everyone,

I've been struggling a bit customizing the reading view, particularly with HTML emails. A lot of my mail comes from Outlook, JIRA and other applications that generate HTML emails by default. In fact, now that I think about it, most of it is HTML.

notmuch-el does an ok job of rendering this content but I'm wonder if it the out of the box experience can be improved. I'm very new to emacs so I may have missed something. In addition to notmuch, I'm also playing with mu4e (thanks maildir) and mu4e seems to render these emails more like Outlook for example, which makes them easier to read.

I'm very new to emacs so I may have missed something. I tried

  (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'shr)

but it wasn't very helpful.

I have the following questions:

1. Is there any documentation on how to improve notmuch-el's HTML rendering? Partciularly around rendering various [miltipart/*] messages inline and preserving some of the original layout?
2. Is there a way to integrate mu4e-view with notmuch?

I strongly prefer notmuch's approach to email but mu4e message view does a better job of rendering emails that I recieve. I'd appreciate any advice.

Dmitry

Re: HTML email in notmuch-el.

Dmitry M <[hidden email]> writes:

> I have the following questions:

> 1. Is there any documentation on how to improve notmuch-el's HTML
> rendering? Partciularly around rendering various [miltipart/*] messages
> inline and preserving some of the original layout?

I guess you're thinking about customization / configuration? I don't
know of anything other than mm-text-html-renderer.

> 2. Is there a way to integrate mu4e-view with notmuch?

I suppose the rendering code from mu4e-view could be borrowed and
modified, but I'm not familiar with that codebase at all. A quick look
shows mu4e seems to default to mu4e-shr2text to do the actual HTML
rendering. So whatever it is you like better is probably happening at a
higher level than rendering the individual part.