[FEATURE] indexing arbitrary headers

Łukasz Stelmach-2 Łukasz Stelmach-2

[FEATURE] indexing arbitrary headers

Hi,

I'd like to ask for a new feature: indexing of arbitrary headers. Not
all headers but a few selected by users.

For example, I get a lot of mails from a Gerrit system. I'd like to keep
them for a while and remove them when they are old enough. Although
these messages are distinguishable in my inbox, they've got subjects
like "Change in ..." and are from "nobody". But these may happen in
other e-mails too. The only 100% sure way to distringuish those e-mails
is to look for headers Gerrit adds.

Kind regards,
--
Łukasz Stelmach
Samsung R&D Institute Poland

Re: [FEATURE] indexing arbitrary headers

Łukasz Stelmach <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'd like to ask for a new feature: indexing of arbitrary headers. Not
> all headers but a few selected by users.
>
> For example, I get a lot of mails from a Gerrit system. I'd like to keep
> them for a while and remove them when they are old enough. Although
> these messages are distinguishable in my inbox, they've got subjects
> like "Change in ..." and are from "nobody". But these may happen in
> other e-mails too. The only 100% sure way to distringuish those e-mails
> is to look for headers Gerrit adds.

Thanks for writing this up. Similar requests have been around for a
while, but it's good to have a note in nmbug.

There are two main blockers I'm aware of (other than someone writing and
reviewing the code).

1) We need to index all copies of a message (e.g. using
   something like the series at  id:[hidden email])

2) we need to decide what happens when someone changes the list of
   indexed headers.