[FEATURE] Purge ignored messages from index

Markus Weimar Markus Weimar

[FEATURE] Purge ignored messages from index

Indexed but subsequently ignored messages remain indexed. I suggest to  purge them from the index as if the files were removed.

Example:

* Create index including spam directory
* Add spam directory to ignore list
* Neither ´new´ nor ´reindex 'folder:spam'´ purges the spam messages from the index

Markus

Re: [FEATURE] Purge ignored messages from index

Markus Weimar <[hidden email]> writes:

> Indexed but subsequently ignored messages remain indexed. I suggest to  purge them from the index as if the files were removed.
>
> Example:
>
> * Create index including spam directory
> * Add spam directory to ignore list
> * Neither ´new´ nor ´reindex 'folder:spam'´ purges the spam messages from the index

My first instinct would be to leave new as is, but change reindex to pay
attention to some ignore parameter.

Jeremy Nickurak Jeremy Nickurak

Re: [FEATURE] Purge ignored messages from index

Don't they need to be in the index in order to match the ignore condition, which then allows them to be excluded from usual activities?

What's the actual thing you're hoping to achieve by not having those ignored messages be in the index?

Jeremy Nickurak <[hidden email]> writes:

> Don't they need to be in the index in order to match the ignore condition,
> which then allows them to be excluded from usual activities?

new.ignore is not about searching. It is about indexing.

A similar, but different feature for searching is search.exclude_tags

Markus Weimar Markus Weimar

Re: [FEATURE] Purge ignored messages from index

Thanks for your reply! I only installed notmuch today, so please take this into account when considering my thoughts.

On Thu, 2018-11-22 13:33:06 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> My first instinct would be to leave new as is, but change reindex to pay
> attention to some ignore parameter.

´new´ already removes messages from the index if the files are gone. Removing those but keeping newly ignored messages seems inconsistent to me and it did confuse me.

Why would I ever want to keep an ignored email in the index? In regard to indexing, I don’t see much of a difference between deleted and ignored. I don’t want search results for either.

I’d guess setting up notmuch and creating a ´notmuch new´ cronjob is not that uncommon. If a user later adds ignores, they are likely to run into this issue. If the indexing followed the config by purging anything ignored, this would “just work.”

Best wishes,
Markus

Re: [FEATURE] Purge ignored messages from index

Markus Weimar <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks for your reply! I only installed notmuch today, so please take this into account when considering my thoughts.
>
> On Thu, 2018-11-22 13:33:06 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
>> My first instinct would be to leave new as is, but change reindex to pay
>> attention to some ignore parameter.
>
> ´new´ already removes messages from the index if the files are
> gone. Removing those but keeping newly ignored messages seems
> inconsistent to me and it did confuse me.

Notmuch new works very hard to not visit files that haven't
changed. Changing this would have a big negative performance impact, afaik.

I care less about the performance of reindex; also it already
rescans all the relevant messages, so I guess the performance impact
would not be that bad.

Sometimes it's worth giving up performance for more intuitive behaviour,
but most people seem to manage with the current behaviour.

On Thu, 2018-11-22 16:49:56 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
> Notmuch new works very hard to not visit files that haven't
> changed. Changing this would have a big negative performance impact, afaik.

I see. I thought it might be possible to purge the entries without looking at any files by doing a cheap comparison of indexed file path against ignored patterns. If that’s not possible, I agree that ´new´ shouldn’t be slowed down for this edge case.

> I care less about the performance of reindex; also it already
> rescans all the relevant messages, so I guess the performance impact
> would not be that bad.

Makes sense to me. Short notes in the docs and config file to run ´reindex 'folder:<pattern>'´ after adding new ignore patterns would prevent any such confusion.

Take care,
Markus

Re: [FEATURE] Purge ignored messages from index

Markus Weimar <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Thu, 2018-11-22 16:49:56 -0400, David Bremner wrote:
>> Notmuch new works very hard to not visit files that haven't
>> changed. Changing this would have a big negative performance impact, afaik.
>
> I see. I thought it might be possible to purge the entries without
> looking at any files by doing a cheap comparison of indexed file path
> against ignored patterns. If that’s not possible, I agree that ´new´
> shouldn’t be slowed down for this edge case.

File paths aren't really indexed, only the directory part.