Emacs "notmuch CLI version mismatch"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
David Wen Riccardi-Zhu David Wen Riccardi-Zhu
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Emacs "notmuch CLI version mismatch"

I'm getting this error in Emacs after upgrading packages:

notmuch-logged-error: notmuch CLI version mismatch Emacs requested
a newer output format than supported by the notmuch CLI.  You may
need to restart Emacs or upgrade your notmuch package.

The message appears whenever I try to open an email.

Emacs is 25.2.1, notmuch is 0.24.2. I'm on Arch Linux x86_64.

I've tried upgrading my OS, and restarting Emacs and the OS, but
the error persists.

Am I getting this error because Arch needs to update to 0.24.2-2?
Should I switch to git?

It would also be nice if this error didn't prevent accessing
messages. : )

Many thanks!
--
dwrz|朱为文
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
David Bremner-2 David Bremner-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Emacs "notmuch CLI version mismatch"

david wen riccardi-zhu <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm getting this error in Emacs after upgrading packages:
>
> notmuch-logged-error: notmuch CLI version mismatch Emacs requested
> a newer output format than supported by the notmuch CLI.  You may
> need to restart Emacs or upgrade your notmuch package.
>

At a guess, you are using git master of the emacs client (perhaps via
melpa, or via some arch git snapshot package), and a released version of
the notmuch binary.

> The message appears whenever I try to open an email.
>
> Emacs is 25.2.1, notmuch is 0.24.2. I'm on Arch Linux x86_64.

What is the output of M-x notmuch-hello-versions <return>

> Am I getting this error because Arch needs to update to 0.24.2-2?
> Should I switch to git?

0.24.2-2 is not an upstream version of notmuch; there is a Debian
version like that; perhaps arch has a similar versioning scheme.

> It would also be nice if this error didn't prevent accessing
> messages. : )

In general this message indicates your emacs lisp components and your
notmuch binary have drifted dangerously far apart in versions, and you
should really fix that problem. You can still use the command line
"notmuch search" and "notmuch show" commands for access to your mail in
the meantime.

d




_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

signature.asc (671 bytes) Download Attachment
David Wen Riccardi-Zhu David Wen Riccardi-Zhu
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Emacs "notmuch CLI version mismatch"

Thanks so much, David.

At a guess, you are using git master of the emacs client (perhaps via
melpa, or via some arch git snapshot package), and a released version of
the notmuch binary. 

I am using MELPA -- does this mean I should be using git to get the binary?

What is the output of M-x notmuch-hello-versions <return>

notmuch version 0.24.2

---
dwrz|朱为文

 

On 2017-07-10 18:14, David Bremner wrote:

david wen riccardi-zhu <[hidden email]> writes:

I'm getting this error in Emacs after upgrading packages:

notmuch-logged-error: notmuch CLI version mismatch Emacs requested
a newer output format than supported by the notmuch CLI.  You may
need to restart Emacs or upgrade your notmuch package.


At a guess, you are using git master of the emacs client (perhaps via
melpa, or via some arch git snapshot package), and a released version of
the notmuch binary.

The message appears whenever I try to open an email.

Emacs is 25.2.1, notmuch is 0.24.2. I'm on Arch Linux x86_64.

What is the output of M-x notmuch-hello-versions <return>

Am I getting this error because Arch needs to update to 0.24.2-2?
Should I switch to git?

0.24.2-2 is not an upstream version of notmuch; there is a Debian
version like that; perhaps arch has a similar versioning scheme.

It would also be nice if this error didn't prevent accessing
messages. : )

In general this message indicates your emacs lisp components and your
notmuch binary have drifted dangerously far apart in versions, and you
should really fix that problem. You can still use the command line
"notmuch search" and "notmuch show" commands for access to your mail in
the meantime.

d




_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
David Bremner-2 David Bremner-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Emacs "notmuch CLI version mismatch"

david wen riccardi-zhu <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks so much, David.
>
>> At a guess, you are using git master of the emacs client (perhaps via
>> melpa, or via some arch git snapshot package), and a released version of
>> the notmuch binary.
>
> I am using MELPA -- does this mean I should be using git to get the
> binary?

I don't see the advantage of using melpa for notmuch. You need notmuch
binaries, and you want them to match the version of your emacs code. So
wherever you get your notmuch binaries from (whether arch, or building
from source) should also be your source of the notmuch emacs code. But
yes, if you insist on using melpa for notmuch-emacs, you should track
the git versions of the notmuch binaries (at least you should update to
current git whenever you get version mismatch messages from the emacs
client).


>> What is the output of M-x notmuch-hello-versions <return>
>
> notmuch version 0.24.2
>

That's very suprising, since it should also print the version of notmuch
emacs mua if it is different from the notmuch version.
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
David Edmondson David Edmondson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Emacs "notmuch CLI version mismatch"

On Monday, 2017-07-10 at 17:40:04 -0300, David Bremner wrote:

>>> What is the output of M-x notmuch-hello-versions <return>
>>
>> notmuch version 0.24.2
>
> That's very suprising, since it should also print the version of notmuch
> emacs mua if it is different from the notmuch version.

Running MELPA on macOS talking over ssh to “unstable” notmuch on Debian
gives me:

notmuch version 0.24.2 (emacs mua version unknown)

which matches your expectation, I think.

dme.
--
Tell me sweet little lies.
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Loading...