Emacs: UI problems with messages excluded by several tags

Teemu Likonen Teemu Likonen

Emacs: UI problems with messages excluded by several tags

Messages with two or more tags that make then excluded from searches can
make them difficult to find in Notmuch Emacs interface. Let's say we
have config:

    [search]
    exclude_tags=spam;deleted;

*notmuch-hello* buffer has "All tags" section which lists how many
messages there are for every tag. However, if a message has two
different excluding tags (like "spam" and "deleted") then that message
is not shown anywhere in the "All tags" list. The message count does not
show it and the message does not show in the search when user clicks the
tag.

My opinion:

 1. "notmuch count" command should have --exclude option like "notmuch
    search" and Emacs interface should use --exclude=false in "All tags"
    section.

 2. When clicking a tag in "All tags" section the search operation
    should use --exclude=false because in these searches user (most
    likely) wants all messages by a tag regardless of other excluding
    tags.

--
///  OpenPGP key: 4E1055DC84E9DFF613D78557719D69D324539450
//  https://keys.openpgp.org/search?q=tlikonen@...

Re: Emacs: UI problems with messages excluded by several tags

Teemu Likonen <[hidden email]> writes:

> *notmuch-hello* buffer has "All tags" section which lists how many
> messages there are for every tag. However, if a message has two
> different excluding tags (like "spam" and "deleted") then that message
> is not shown anywhere in the "All tags" list. The message count does not
> show it and the message does not show in the search when user clicks the
> tag.

I'm not sure I follow you. It seems like this should be the behaviour
also if the message is tagged with one exclude tag; i.e. it sounds like
it is working as I expect.  Can you explain how 2 exclude tags makes a
difference for you?

David Bremner [2019-07-19T09:19:13-03] wrote:

> I'm not sure I follow you. It seems like this should be the behaviour
> also if the message is tagged with one exclude tag; i.e. it sounds
> like it is working as I expect. Can you explain how 2 exclude tags
> makes a difference for you?

I think "All tags" section should show every tags and the count
regardless of exclude settings. It does that now if there is only one
excluding tag for a message. Messages are hidden if there are more
excluding tags.

Let's test:

    $ notmuch config set search.exclude_tags exclude-1 exclude-2

Now add "exclude-1" tag for some message and it will show in "All tags"
section with count 1.

    All tags: [hide]

           1 exclude-1

Now add also "exclude-2" tag for the same massage and see the "All tags"
section again.

    All tags: [hide]

           [neither exclude-1 nor exclude-2 here]

I think the section should show both tags and when a tag clicked it
should show all messages with that tag.

    All tags: [hide]

           1 exclude-1              1 exclude-2

--
///  OpenPGP key: 4E1055DC84E9DFF613D78557719D69D324539450
//  https://keys.openpgp.org/search?q=tlikonen@...
/  https://keybase.io/tlikonen  https://github.com/tlikonen

Re: Emacs: UI problems with messages excluded by several tags

Teemu Likonen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Let's test:
>
>     $ notmuch config set search.exclude_tags exclude-1 exclude-2
>
> Now add "exclude-1" tag for some message and it will show in "All tags"
> section with count 1.
>
>     All tags: [hide]
>
>            1 exclude-1
>
> Now add also "exclude-2" tag for the same massage and see the "All tags"
> section again.
>
>     All tags: [hide]
>
>            [neither exclude-1 nor exclude-2 here]

Right, I understand now thanks, and I agree there's a bug or missing
feature there.