EMACS error "Package html2text is obsolete"

Ralph Seichter Ralph Seichter

EMACS error "Package html2text is obsolete"

Hello list,

I tried to access https://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/ several
times today, but it always resulted in a connection error, so I am
now trying the mailing list.

When I open a HTML message in the EMACS UI, the error message "Package
html2text is obsolete!" is displayed. Is it possible to configure
Notmuch to use SHR/EWW instead of html2text?

-Ralph
Tomi Ollila-2 Tomi Ollila-2

Re: EMACS error "Package html2text is obsolete"

On Sat, Nov 03 2018, Ralph Seichter wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I tried to access https://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/ several
> times today, but it always resulted in a connection error, so I am
> now trying the mailing list.
>
> When I open a HTML message in the EMACS UI, the error message "Package
> html2text is obsolete!" is displayed. Is it possible to configure
> Notmuch to use SHR/EWW instead of html2text?

You probably have somewhere something like:

(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'html2text)

?

If so, drop that.

(then, it should default to 'shr since emacs 24...)

Istvan Marko Istvan Marko

Tomi Ollila <[hidden email]> writes:

>> When I open a HTML message in the EMACS UI, the error message "Package
>> html2text is obsolete!" is displayed. Is it possible to configure
>> Notmuch to use SHR/EWW instead of html2text?
>
> You probably have somewhere something like:
>
> (setq mm-text-html-renderer 'html2text)
>
> ?
>
> If so, drop that.
>
> (then, it should default to 'shr since emacs 24...)

It defaults to shr as long as emacs was compiled with libxml. Otherwise
it tries to find various external commands, html2text amongst them. So I
guess Ralph could also be running an emacs install built without libxml
support.

(defcustom mm-text-html-renderer
  (cond ((fboundp 'libxml-parse-html-region) 'shr)
        ((executable-find "w3m") 'gnus-w3m)
        ((executable-find "links") 'links)
        ((executable-find "lynx") 'lynx)
        ((locate-library "html2text") 'html2text)
        (t nil))
)

--
        Istvan
Ralph Seichter Ralph Seichter

Re: EMACS error "Package html2text is obsolete"

* Istvan Marko:

> It defaults to shr as long as emacs was compiled with libxml.

Thanks Istvan, that was the clue I needed. I rebuilt EMACS using libxml2
and now rendering HTML works.

-Ralph