Dealing with spaces in mail folders

Baptiste Demoulin Baptiste Demoulin

Dealing with spaces in mail folders

Hello folks,

this is my first mail on this list, and I've been using notmuch as my
principal mail client with Emacs for around 1 week.

For my Gmail account, I rely mostly on the general 'Tous les Messages'
('All mails') folder. Thus, I have set notmuch-fcc-dirs with the
following value:

("[hidden email]" . "gmail/[Gmail]/.Tous\  les\  messages")

However, sending mails with my Gmail account result in the following
error message in *Notmuch errors*:

insert --folder\=gmail/\[Gmail\]/.Tous les messages
exit status: 1
stdout:
Error: unexpected query string: les messages

What is the correct way to deal with spaces in folder names in this case
? Thanks a lot !!

baptiste
Tomi Ollila-2 Tomi Ollila-2

Re: Dealing with spaces in mail folders

On Wed, Oct 04 2017, Baptiste Demoulin wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> this is my first mail on this list, and I've been using notmuch as my
> principal mail client with Emacs for around 1 week.
>
> For my Gmail account, I rely mostly on the general 'Tous les Messages'
> ('All mails') folder. Thus, I have set notmuch-fcc-dirs with the
> following value:
>
> ("[hidden email]" . "gmail/[Gmail]/.Tous\  les\  messages")

double space ... why not "gmail/[Gmail]/.Tous\ les\ messages" ... ?

(although it looks interesting if this was the cause but anyway looks suspicious...)

Tomi

> However, sending mails with my Gmail account result in the following
> error message in *Notmuch errors*:
>
> insert --folder\=gmail/\[Gmail\]/.Tous les messages
> exit status: 1
> stdout:
> Error: unexpected query string: les messages
>
> What is the correct way to deal with spaces in folder names in this case
> ? Thanks a lot !!
>
> baptiste
Baptiste Demoulin Baptiste Demoulin

Re: Dealing with spaces in mail folders

Hello Tomi,

In fact this was an attempt to escape the space (else, notmuch looks for
Touslesmessages).

I finally found the solution, looking at the help for notmuch-fcc-dirs :

("[hidden email]" . "\"gmail/[Gmail]/.Tous les messages\"")

Putting the folder name inside double quotes does the trick !!

Good lesson: next time I'll read the manual before asking :)

bests,

baptiste