Attach public key and encrypt by default

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Attach public key and encrypt by default

I have two feature requests/questions for notmuch-emacs? One would it be possible to add or configure in support for automatically adding your gpg public key to messages? Second, could there be a feature that checks if there's a gpg key for the recipient of a message and if there is, turn on encryption by default? Thanks!
-/-\-/-\-/-

Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano [xe/xem/xyr/xemself]

🔐PGP Fingerprint: 0xf02b733b4382e451c8c2fff550858748146544cb

🕸Fediverse: @[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attach public key and encrypt by default

Oh! I figured out how to encrypt by default. I still can't figure out how to attach my public key by default though.

On December 16, 2019 10:57:12 PM UTC, "Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I have two feature requests/questions for notmuch-emacs? One would it
>be possible to add or configure in support for automatically adding
>your gpg public key to messages? Second, could there be a feature that
>checks if there's a gpg key for the recipient of a message and if there
>is, turn on encryption by default? Thanks!
>-/-\-/-\-/-
>
>Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano [xe/xem/xyr/xemself]
>
>🔐PGP Fingerprint: 0xf02b733b4382e451c8c2fff550858748146544cb
>
>🕸Fediverse: @[hidden email]
>_______________________________________________
>notmuch mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

-/-\-/-\-/-

Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano [xe/xem/xyr/xemself]

🔐PGP Fingerprint: 0xf02b733b4382e451c8c2fff550858748146544cb

🕸Fediverse: @[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Brian Sniffen-2 Brian Sniffen-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attach public key and encrypt by default

Two ideas:

echo “-- “ > ~/.signature
gpg -a -e $USER >> !$

This is hardly polite, but at least the signature will be stripped off by many archives and replies.

Alternatively,

(add-hook ‘message-setup-hook (lambda () (mml-attach-file “path/to/pubkey.gpg”))

But this still puts kilobytes of useless crud on every message. Please don’t. Maybe a URL to your key in your signature would be enough?

--
Brian Sniffen

> On Dec 16, 2019, at 10:52 PM, Carolyn Lynn Knight-Serrano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Oh! I figured out how to encrypt by default. I still can't figure out how to attach my public key by default though.
>
>> On December 16, 2019 10:57:12 PM UTC, "Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have two feature requests/questions for notmuch-emacs? One would it
>> be possible to add or configure in support for automatically adding
>> your gpg public key to messages? Second, could there be a feature that
>> checks if there's a gpg key for the recipient of a message and if there
>> is, turn on encryption by default? Thanks!
>> -/-\-/-\-/-
>>
>> Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano [xe/xem/xyr/xemself]
>>
>> 🔐PGP Fingerprint: 0xf02b733b4382e451c8c2fff550858748146544cb
>>
>> 🕸Fediverse: @[hidden email]
>> _______________________________________________
>> notmuch mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
>
> -/-\-/-\-/-
>
> Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano [xe/xem/xyr/xemself]
>
> 🔐PGP Fingerprint: 0xf02b733b4382e451c8c2fff550858748146544cb
>
> 🕸Fediverse: @[hidden email]
> _______________________________________________
> notmuch mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Ralph Seichter-2 Ralph Seichter-2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attach public key and encrypt by default

In reply to this post by Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano
* Carolyn Knight-Serrano:

> would it be possible to add or configure in support for automatically
> adding your gpg public key to messages?

As already mentioned, adding several KB of GPG key to the body of each
of your messages would be very impolite, and it might get you flagged as
a spammer.

A possible alternative is Autocrypt (https://autocrypt.org/) which uses
the message header, but the most bandwidth-friendly method is still a
URL pointing to your self-hosted key material. Also there are publicly
available key servers like http://pgp.mit.edu , with their own pros and
cons.

-Ralph
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Rollins, Jameson Rollins, Jameson
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attach public key and encrypt by default

In reply to this post by Carolyn "Lynn" Knight-Serrano
On Mon, Dec 16 2019, "Carolyn \"Lynn\" Knight-Serrano" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have two feature requests/questions for notmuch-emacs? One would it
> be possible to add or configure in support for automatically adding
> your gpg public key to messages? Second, could there be a feature that
> checks if there's a gpg key for the recipient of a message and if
> there is, turn on encryption by default? Thanks!

Hi, Carolyn.  Both of these features is basically exactly what autocrypt
aims to provide:

https://autocrypt.org/

I know that Daniel Gillmor (dkg) and others have been actively working
on building autocrypt support into notmuch and notmuch-emacs.  I too
really want autocrypt support in notmuch, and am wishing I had more time
to help integrate it.  Maybe we can convince dkg to report on where he
sees things right now and we can outline a development work plan to help
push development forward.

jamie.
_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch
Jörg Volbers Jörg Volbers
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Attach public key and encrypt by default

I use a minor mode which automatically adds an encryption tag to
the message if a key is known to exist. It does not look up the
key, it only checks the private store (those keys which are
already known by the gpg agent). Maybe you could adapt this to
your needs.

The source is located at
https://github.com/publicimageltd/encryptif

Jörg


Jameson Graef Rollins <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 16 2019, "Carolyn \"Lynn\" Knight-Serrano"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have two feature requests/questions for notmuch-emacs? One
>> would it be possible to add or configure in support for
>> automatically adding your gpg public key to messages? Second,
>> could there be a feature that checks if there's a gpg key for
>> the recipient of a message and if there is, turn on encryption
>> by default? Thanks!
>
> Hi, Carolyn.  Both of these features is basically exactly what
> autocrypt aims to provide:
>
> https://autocrypt.org/ 
>
> I know that Daniel Gillmor (dkg) and others have been actively
> working on building autocrypt support into notmuch and
> notmuch-emacs.  I too really want autocrypt support in notmuch,
> and am wishing I had more time to help integrate it.  Maybe we
> can convince dkg to report on where he sees things right now and
> we can outline a development work plan to help push development
> forward.
>
> jamie.  _______________________________________________ notmuch
> mailing list [hidden email]
> https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch 
--
http://www.joergvolbers.de
https://fu-berlin.academia.edu/jvolbers

_______________________________________________
notmuch mailing list
[hidden email]
https://notmuchmail.org/mailman/listinfo/notmuch

signature.asc (497 bytes) Download Attachment