Address Completion No Longer Working

David Wen Riccardi-Zhu David Wen Riccardi-Zhu

Address Completion No Longer Working

Address completion worked out of the box for me with notmuch and
Emacs. Recently, it's stopped working. I've tried setting
notmuch-address-command to internal, as well as toggling
notmuch-address-toggle-internal-completion, but neither has been
able to return the functionality.

I am able to get notmuch address to work on the command line.

I use:
Arch Linux X86-64, Kernel 4.15.7-1-ARCH
fish shell
notmuch 0.26
Emacs 25.3.1
company-mode

Any insights on how I might get autocompletion working again?
--
dwrz|朱为文
Tomi Ollila-2 Tomi Ollila-2

Re: Address Completion No Longer Working

On Sun, Mar 11 2018, david wen riccardi-zhu wrote:

> Address completion worked out of the box for me with notmuch and
> Emacs. Recently, it's stopped working. I've tried setting
> notmuch-address-command to internal, as well as toggling
> notmuch-address-toggle-internal-completion, but neither has been
> able to return the functionality.
>
> I am able to get notmuch address to work on the command line.
>
> I use:
> Arch Linux X86-64, Kernel 4.15.7-1-ARCH
> fish shell
> notmuch 0.26
> Emacs 25.3.1
> company-mode
>
> Any insights on how I might get autocompletion working again?

Try running emacs -Q to remove the potential effect of your own
configuration files (if you have notmuch cloned you can also
try to execude ./devel/try-emacs-mua to do that).

If problem persists, resend your issue w/ updated information.

Tomi

david wen riccardi-zhu <[hidden email]> writes:

> Address completion worked out of the box for me with notmuch and
> Emacs. Recently, it's stopped working. I've tried setting
> notmuch-address-command to internal, as well as toggling
> notmuch-address-toggle-internal-completion, but neither has been
> able to return the functionality.

"stopped working" usually suggests some configuration change to me. It
would be helpful to know what precisely changed.

As far as debugging, I had two ideas to try.

- try running (notmuch-address-matching "dwrz") in *scratch* (or IELM,
  or M-:) ; this will eliminate company-mode as a suspect, and
  potentially give you a traceback if something is going wrong.

- have a look at the variable notmuch-address-save-filename. Potentially
  set it (back) to nil to disable persistent caching. If that fixes it,
  have a look at the corresponding file, see if something corrupted it.

> I use:
> Arch Linux X86-64, Kernel 4.15.7-1-ARCH
> fish shell

fish breaks lots of assumptions for shells, but I guess you didn't just switch.

> notmuch 0.26

some subtle things changed with respect to starting external processes
in notmuch 0.26; if your recent configuration change was upgrading
notmuch, that might be worth further investigation.

Tomi Ollila-2 Tomi Ollila-2

On Mon, Mar 12 2018, David Bremner wrote:

> david wen riccardi-zhu <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Address completion worked out of the box for me with notmuch and
>> Emacs. Recently, it's stopped working. I've tried setting
>> notmuch-address-command to internal, as well as toggling
>> notmuch-address-toggle-internal-completion, but neither has been
>> able to return the functionality.
>
> "stopped working" usually suggests some configuration change to me. It
> would be helpful to know what precisely changed.
>
> As far as debugging, I had two ideas to try.
>
> - try running (notmuch-address-matching "dwrz") in *scratch* (or IELM,
>   or M-:) ; this will eliminate company-mode as a suspect, and
>   potentially give you a traceback if something is going wrong.
>
> - have a look at the variable notmuch-address-save-filename. Potentially
>   set it (back) to nil to disable persistent caching. If that fixes it,
>   have a look at the corresponding file, see if something corrupted it.
>
>> I use:
>> Arch Linux X86-64, Kernel 4.15.7-1-ARCH
>> fish shell
>
> fish breaks lots of assumptions for shells, but I guess you didn't just
> switch.

Notmuch Emacs MUA should not rely using any particular $SHELL in any case.
It still uses amdragon's brilliant
"/bin/sh" "-c" "exec 2>\"$1\"; shift; exec \"$0\" \"$@\"" before emacs 25
and according to make-process' docstring it doesn't use shell (either)...

Also, I tested

$ SHELL=/bin/false ./devel/try-emacs-mua -q

and tried (built-in!) address completion (slow >;), and it worked fine.

>> notmuch 0.26
>
> some subtle things changed with respect to starting external processes
> in notmuch 0.26; if your recent configuration change was upgrading
> notmuch, that might be worth further investigation.

If that is (finally) the case, I'd be interested to know.

Tomi
David Wen Riccardi-Zhu David Wen Riccardi-Zhu

Re: Address Completion No Longer Working

Thanks so much for your time and the suggestions.

> - try running (notmuch-address-matching "dwrz") in *scratch* (or
> IELM,
>   or M-:) ; this will eliminate company-mode as a suspect, and
>   potentially give you a traceback if something is going wrong.

I can confirm this works in IELM and M-:.

> - have a look at the variable notmuch-address-save-filename.
> Potentially
>   set it (back) to nil to disable persistent caching. If that
>   fixes it, have a look at the corresponding file, see if
>   something corrupted it.

This was not set to anything, but set or unset, it seems to make
no difference.

What does seem to make a difference is toggling
notmuch-address-use-company. Without it, tab completion seems to
work in message mode, although it's not very useful. With it on, I
get no completion.

Is what I'm seeing potentially a misconfiguration, or bug in
company-mode?

The last customizations I made to my init was editing my
text-mode-hook (where I did specify some company-backends) and
then just some minor counsel and ripgrep related changes. I
haven't touched my notmuch-related config in some time. However I
don't have my init under version control, and it is a mess, so
perhaps I'm missing something. : ( FWIW, fish is also not a recent
development.

--
dwrz|朱为文
David Wen Riccardi-Zhu David Wen Riccardi-Zhu

Re: Address Completion No Longer Working

Thanks, Tomi. So far, I can confirm that completion works with
emacs -Q, but not with company. I'm looking into that more now.

--
dwrz|朱为文

Re: Address Completion No Longer Working

david wen riccardi-zhu <[hidden email]> writes:

> Is what I'm seeing potentially a misconfiguration, or bug in
> company-mode?
>
> The last customizations I made to my init was editing my
> text-mode-hook (where I did specify some company-backends) and
> then just some minor counsel and ripgrep related changes. I
> haven't touched my notmuch-related config in some time. However I
> don't have my init under version control, and it is a mess, so
> perhaps I'm missing something. : ( FWIW, fish is also not a recent
> development.
The obvious thing to try is try-emacs-mua script from the source
(attached)

This will let you use company without any of your personal
configuration. Run as e.g. "sh ./try-emacs-mua -q"

try-emacs-mua (8K) Download Attachment
David Wen Riccardi-Zhu David Wen Riccardi-Zhu

Re: Address Completion No Longer Working

Hi David,

My apologies if I am missing something obvious, but I'm getting
the following:

Cannot find notmuch-emacs source directory

I've tried running the script from both my home directory and my
.emacs.d. The script states:

;; Try the notmuch emacs client located in ../emacs/ directory

I'm not sure which directory this is referring to.

Thanks again for your time!
David

David Bremner <[hidden email]> writes:

> david wen riccardi-zhu <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>> Is what I'm seeing potentially a misconfiguration, or bug in
>> company-mode?
>>
>> The last customizations I made to my init was editing my
>> text-mode-hook (where I did specify some company-backends) and
>> then just some minor counsel and ripgrep related changes. I
>> haven't touched my notmuch-related config in some time. However
>> I don't have my init under version control, and it is a mess,
>> so perhaps I'm missing something. : ( FWIW, fish is also not a
>> recent development.
>
> The obvious thing to try is try-emacs-mua script from the source
> (attached)
>
> This will let you use company without any of your personal
> configuration. Run as e.g. "sh ./try-emacs-mua -q"

--
dwrz|朱为文

Re: Address Completion No Longer Working

david wen riccardi-zhu <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi David,
>
> My apologies if I am missing something obvious, but I'm getting
> the following:
>
> Cannot find notmuch-emacs source directory
>
> I've tried running the script from both my home directory and my
> .emacs.d. The script states:
>
> ;; Try the notmuch emacs client located in ../emacs/ directory

I guess you need an unpacked copy of the source to run this. Sorry, I
didn't think that through.